HEMI VIPER?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't throw rotten tomatos at me for sacriledge, but has anyone out there heard of someone running a Hemi in a Viper?
embarass.gif

I used to run a Mopar speed operation alongside my CPA practise called Mopower Performance, and we introduced Indy Cylinder Heads to Australia and NZ... that led me to do some scheming....

For road racing and drag etc, a Viper could be built with carbon fibre panels, roll cage etc, and an all aluminum wedge or hemi. I know that a 572 cube wedge (4.5" bore and stroke)weighs around 460lb wet, a hemi would weigh closer to 500lb, and both would be several inches shorter than the V10, shifting weight back and leaving a lot more room under the hood up front. They would however be around 3" wider... headers on the hemi go straight down and on the wedge would come straight out.

It's not as silly as it sounds. EFI is available for these combo's and the power and torque is unbelievable. A 572 wedge makes around 820hp in street trim on single carb, no NOS. EFI will provide more power thru the rpm range. The whole combo costs less than a Viper upgrade, and you get to keep the original V10... twin turbo a 572 wedge or hemi (no power differnce between either head)and power would be limited by fuel supply only (on gas).

The Mopower sponsored car went 6.8 seconds at 208mph on a 494 wedge at over 3000+ lb in an A-body using the basic (but solid and Indy ported) original Indy alloy head on an Arias block. The new 572 and 600 heads flow considerably more.

Ok, you can throw the tomato now, but you gotta admit, a Mopar mountain motor does have a sound to it that'll make the hairs on your neck stand up.

OP
OP
T

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
www.indyheads.com or www.raybarton.com build these things.... 600hp would be a struggle without serious de-tuning... anything under 750hp would probably be better going to a smaller motor like a 528 (4.5 bore and stock 3.75 stroke) or a 500 so you can use smaller heads for more air speed down low.

However, even at 820hp the 572 has enough down low to twist a car body. Nothing hi tech, just raw power, and great reliability.

Don't sell your V10 tho, resale on a monster V8 Viper may not be good unless you make it a show car... but then they always cost more than you ever get back... so go hard, and go fast.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seen it already at the Mopar Nats for the past two years there is a guy with a Viper GTS with a Hemi in it....runs 9's I believe...not street legal if i remember right

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper