speed at Pocono long course NJ Viper club event

OP
OP
S

speedpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fastest I've been is bit over 150 at end of long straight. I've been to 120 in the bowl with slicks on my C5. I have only been on the long course one day. I guess with more time I will improve. Finally got confident in down hill of camber at Lime Rock.

OP
OP
S

speedpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets get it done! 200 would be cool. I heard a few cars were getting that last year or the year befoe at PDA event. If I had the money I wish I had a big motor in my Vette. Well I should have 420-425 to rear wheels. I want to see what that gains me at the tracks.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
170 MPH...very impressive. Could someone please tell me the length and nature of this Pocono track? I crewed for McCann Racing for the Grand Am race at Road America a couple years ago. We were racing our Viper GTS-R in the GTO class. This is a real factory GTS-R! One of our drivers, Jeff Altenberg set the track lap record in this class for the weekend. According to our onboard data acquisition system, his maximimum speed achieved anywhere on the course was 168 MPH. I had always believed that Road America had the three longest straights of any road course in the country. I'm surprised that you can achieve a higher top speed at Pocono then the track record top speed for a factory Viper GTS-R at Road America.

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FRANK,
I definitely know 168 MPH can be beat at Pocono on the "long" course. You have the Nascar front straight, followed by the 22 degree bank which if your car is setup properly can be taken at well over 150MPH, into the rear Nascar straight, so 18o MPH and higher in a GTSR is no problem!

OP
OP
S

speedpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a black McCann car run two years ago at Pocono and that was the most impressive/fastest Viper there what speed they were doing I don't know but it did haul butt. Countach I ran my 99 Navy C5 at Pocono. I run in the black group. When it rained I went out and had a terrible vibration. The cause was a wheel sensor from my 99 GS wheel had broken lose. I had to run to the local tire shop to get it removed. 140 in the rain with the wheel bouncing was unerving to say the least. What group did you run in Countach? I'll be there for the Viper club event on 4-8-02 god willing. I can't wait.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The black McCann GTS-R that you saw at Pocono was the same car that I mentioned set the Road America track lap record for its class. 168 MPH is really hauling butt on any road course in America.

OP
OP
S

speedpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The black is the fastest with PDA I think I got beat by four full race Porsches and one Viper my friend Ed's who offered to let me drive it. I refused as I couldn't cut him a check for it LOL I do want to drive it down the street. He would pull me on the straights and I would catch him in the infield, great fun! Countach what three events do you plan on running with PDA? Ed if your out there send me a email I lost your card. I think Nascar goes maybe 200