Vette/Viper Challenge Road Racing Series Approved by NASA!

Mansier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The all new Vette/Viper Challenge is now a reality at NASA Pro Racing! Here are some of the vital statistics of the rules, with a full set to be posted soon at http://www.racenasa.com and http://www.nasaproracing.com. There are three classes based mostly on horsepower to weight ratios:
VVC1:
C3 9.6:1
C4 9.8:1
C5 10:1

Gen 1 Viper 9.8:1
Gen 2 Viper 10:1

DOT race tires only. Unlimited wheel and tire size. Stock bodywork, limited aerodynamic additions.

VVC2:
C3 8.3:1
C4 8.4:1
C5 8.5:1

Gen 1 Viper 8.4:1
Gen 2 Viper 8.5:1

Slicks are allowed, aerodynamics are free, stock bodywork retained.

VVCX:
Unlimited horsepower to weight. Slicks allowed, aerodynamics free, aftermarket wide body body work allowed.

I can't wait to see this class rumble! The Midwest Road Racing Championship has been announced (see schedule) with more east and west announcements to come!

Mid Ohio April 4-6
BeaveRun May 10-11
Summit Point June 21-22
Gingerman July 19-20
BeaveRun August 30-31
Nelson Ledges September 13-14
Putnam Park October 11-12

Questions: call 330.242.5008 or email [email protected]

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm in. i'll be tuning up with NASA in florida for an enduro & 2 sprints. Hopefully the Green Meanine will make a respectful showing. Only a few more tweaks to work out.

OP
OP
M

Mansier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, the American Iron series is for American Pony Cars: Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, etc. This series uses the same hp:wt ideas, but some of the rules are different to benefit the Corvette and Viper marques. There are also 3 classes instead of two. Send me an email, and I'll send you the rules (they will be available on the national website soon). I have been in touch with many of the Corvette and Viper shops by email, and now a few by phone. The response has been positive, and we may get some great "tuner" cars at the track, as well as, support for the racers. See you at the track! LM

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If NASA was smart they would homologate the GT-1, GT-2, and GT-C Vipers from the Viper Racing League into the proper classes for the NASA series. This is where 90% of the existing race-prepared Vipers are found. I understand that the western region of NASA is attempting the same series. Good news for the Viper community. Please keep us informed.

OP
OP
M

Mansier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a good comment about the GT1, GT2, GTC. We are in the process of modifying the rules before final national rollout. You will see notice of this at the national NASA site www.nasaproracing.com , www.theracesite.com , and the NASA OH/IN site www.racenasa.com . Some things that are on the table are the current power to weight rules, and how to integrate some of the popular Viper race rules to allow racers opportunities in multiple series (competitively).

This will be a national class, so you should be able to find competition whether you are in California, Ohio, Florida, or anywhere in between with NASA.

Anyone may email me for a set of the rules, but they will most likely change slightly before national rollout.

We have meetings with a few Corvette vendors and race teams, as well as, a few Viper vendors and race teams coming up soon. Please post up any vendors you would like us to get in touch with for publicity, contingency, and the all-around good of Corvette and Viper racing!

Lawrence Mansier

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am sure that the Viper Vette Challange is included in the Enduro series. Nasa is stepping up with a full schedule of Enduro's. Can i borrow your crew for the enduro's? i promise i will bring my own parts.

OP
OP
M

Mansier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Including the VVC in the enduros will be up to each Region's VVC Director. Since I am the OH/IN Region VVC Director, I can tell you that the VVC classes will be recognized at the 6 hour Nelson Ledges event, and the 3 hour BeaveRun event. If there is enough support for it, they will also be included for year end points.

We have been visiting with many Corvette and Viper teams and shops over the past week, and a member of our team is out in California for the Viper race there. Thank you for all of the thoughts and comments. You may see a few changes to the existing provisional rules such as:

Lowering the power to weight ratios of the classes from
VVC1 10:1 to 8.5:1
VVC2 8.5:1 to 7.0:1
VVCX probably still unlimited, but could go to a 5.0:1

Also more weight allowances for the Gen 1 Viper, and Older Corvettes.

A tire size limitation for VVC1 and VVC2. Still Plenty of tire, but a maximum that both cars can fit under the stock bodywork they are regulated to use in these classes.

More after the weekend.

There was a supercharged Porsche at Nelson Ledges last year that dominated the 200 mile race. Let's put it to him in the endurance races this year!

LM www.racenasa.com

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Mansier,

I currently run a Viper in T1 and might try NASA especially if you ran an enduro for this new Viper/Vette class...???

OP
OP
M

Mansier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The weekend was fruitful in California. Our man spent the weekend with the top tuners and many very fast Vipers. There will be changes to the rules to allow for many of the common Viper modifications. Things like the flywheel, wings, and things of the sort. More to come soon, and we will be posting the rules nationally in about a week.

LM
NASA OH/IN Region Director
Mid Ohio April 4-6

OP
OP
M

Mansier

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, this link will take you to the final rules:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/vvc.pdf

The power to weight ratios were developed using some of the VRL, and SCCA T1 power to weight ratios, and should provide an easy transition for those wishing to run all series. The first VVC race is being held in California this weekend. I know there are some Corvettes signed up! Here is your chance to compete on an evened power to weight playing field. The next few events are:

Feb 8-9 Willow Springs (SoCal NASA)
Feb 22-23 Thunderhill (NorCal NASA)
March 7-9 California Speedway (SoCal NASA)
April 4-6 Mid Ohio Sports Car Course (OH/IN NASA)www.racenasa.com

All event registration may be done through www.nasaproracing.com . See you at the track!

LM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper