Returning from VOI 7 and speeding ticket in VA

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I-81 in Virginia is heavily enforced. In Virginia 20+ over the limit or 80+ is reckless. Definite BS. VA State Troopers are not too forgiving. You need to investigate what will happen when that ticket comes back on your MA license. In VA a reckless charge, in addition to carrying 6 points (as opposed to 2 or 4) stays on your driving record for 11 years, which, of course, gives your insurance company an excuse to ****** you for quite a few years. I also think you don't have the option to prepay the fine and forego the court appearance. If ignoring that ticket is going to drive up your insurance rates several hundred $$ a year for 3 or 4 years, spending money on a VA attorney who can get the charge reduced or dismissed may be a good investment.

I was nailed for 70 in a 55 last fall, and the officer also wrote me up for no front plate -- end of the month = quota time. Since it was my first ticket in 18 years, I was just going to pay it. But a couple of friends convinced me it was worth making the court appearance. I did, plead no contest, paid the fines, and was given the "opportunity" to attend a one-day safe driving course, after which, upon proof of attendance, my speeding charge was dismissed. I'm not so sure that would have happened had it been a "reckless" charge, but I was able to take advantage of my clean driving record. I definitely recommend at least checking with a VA attorney.

LQQK_OUT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also received a speeding ticket on this same stretch of road heading back to NJ. Nailed for 80 in a 65. Seems this user fee will cost me $5 for every mile over the limit plus the tradional $47 fee to process my ticket. It's interesting how the government can get away with charging a fee on top of another fee. I'm sure glad the roads are a lot safer now 8^). So, am I better off just paying this user fee or should I get an attorney and fight it? I currently have a clean drving record.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235