Alarm reset??

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen several people with alarm problems post here but I have not seen a reset procedure. Can someone please tell me the procedure to reset the alarm or re-sync the remote key? I have a 1997 GTS which don't have the alarm reset in the glove box.

Well here is what happened today. Stopped at Kinkos locked car went inside, returned 5 min later pushed the unlock button, nothing happened. Pushed it several more times nothing. So I took the remote apart checked the battery contacts seemed OK still nothing. So I figured I will just open the trunk then open the door from the inside and reset the alarm by starting the car. This worked on other cars I have owned, but the Viper started for 3 seconds and died (fuel cutoff I guess). Well now I'm stuck, so I walk down the road to an electronics store and get a new remote battery. Come back and again noting happens. Open up the trunk alarm goes off again, attracted lots of attention. Cute girl in a truck comes over to offer assistance
smile.gif
but that's another story. I disconnect the computer (removed the 3 plug in's) from under the hood, alarm still going off. I can't remove the red positive batt contact because the bolt is corroded and stuck. After a few min I plug back in the computer after alarm stopped and magically the remote it starts working.

I'm still not sure it was a bad remote battery. Is there anyway to drive the car without using the remote to turn off the alarm? I would like something to print out and keep with the car in case it happens again. Thanks.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MES:
...........the Viper started for 3 seconds and died (fuel cutoff I guess). Well now I'm stuck, so I ..get a new remote battery. Come back and again noting happens......... ...... I disconnect the computer (removed the 3 plug in's) from under the hood, alarm still going off. I can't remove the red positive batt contact because the bolt is corroded and stuck. After a few min I plug back in the computer after alarm stopped and magically the remote it starts working....I'm still not sure it was a bad remote battery. Is there anyway to drive the car without using the remote to turn off the alarm? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You performed one proper reset sequence for 1996-1997 GTS.That's why it worked! The other is the battery discon that you tried to perfrom. You are correct on the fuel-shutoff sequence, runs for 1.5 sec then dies. You are further corrcet that the FOB was ok.

For the Bizillion-eleven-teenth time: YOU PROBABLY NEED A NEW CAR BATTERY! You certainly need routine maintenance due to the "corroded and stuck" bolts! That is part of the problem for sure. Fix the corrosion, load-test the battery, and buy a new one (from Viper Wizard?)......PartsRack does not sell 'em !

OP
OP
M

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB thanks for your Bizillion-eleven-teenth and one post
smile.gif
I will clean the battery contacts and the positive post under the hood. I just had the battery replaced by the dealer about 6 months ago, they probably didn't clean the contacts or maybe they have become corroded.

manoy88

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lock work unlock won't work lights not engaging when push the unlock bottom from the remote

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235