Soon To Be A First Time Viper Owner! Need Advice!

Reaction score
My name is Robert, I'm 29 and just about ready to buy a new 2001 (preferably yellow) RT/10. I was previously a 2001 Convertable Vette owner but fortunatly I put the car into the wall on Interstate 96 in Michigan. I am thinking about leasing, good idea? I'm a driving fanatic and I love to cruise so I'm probably going to rack up some serious miles. I spoke with some dealers accross the US and I got the monthly payments to $850 with nothing but first month and security down, good deal? The only addition I am thinking about is a spoiler, can someone recommend one for me. And last but not least, I dont want to wind up in the wall again, I know these things have alot of torque and could easily spin. I have driven a few older Vipers before and its a different kind of machine to drive. I just want to remain safe on the road. Could someone give me a "few words to live by." I would appreciate any advice and I hope to see some of you out there, thanks.

Ken Diemer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autoform Development, located in Holland, Michigan has several different spoilers for the RT/10. Visit their website at autoformgroup.com or give Jerry a call at (616)392-4909.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$850 a month with only first month??????? Is this an 8 year lease? When I was considering purcasing or leasing my 2000 my best deal was 48 month lease $15,000 down and $1,100 & change per month including tax. 12,000 miles a year.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Before you close the purchase, call Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge (click on icon at top of page for contact info). He is one of us (owner, racer) and will give you great no pressure advice. He will also be able to do the wing/paint and other add-ons you will probably want.

2. That sounds like way too good a deal, If that is Dodge dealer financing it has to be bogus, bought a Durango last week and went through the financing options. If it is a lease it still sounds too good, but anything is possible I guess.

3. I've owned multiple Vettes, still have my original owner 69 427 big block, I,ve had the viper for a year and I grew up in Michigan on I-96. Be careful! The snake will bite you! Talk to folks on this board about driving schools and Viper Days events.

4. Enjoy! If you like corvettes, you'll love the Viper!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yeah, I would lease a Viper, by the time you are done with it, you are out a lot of money and nothing to show for it. You can buy late model Vipers and have the same payment and keep the car too.

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both leased and purchased and here is my experience in a "nutshell":

(1) Most financial advisors will tell you to avoid leasing unless you own or hold employment with a company that is able to expense the operation of the vehicle being leased.

(2) I have been pressed not to exceed the mileage limit in all three cars I have leased through my business, and I consider myself to use my vehicles moderately. Yes, the mileage limits can be raised higher than the standard allowance, but this will bring the monthly payment up. The Viper may only be a weekend driver, but the annual mileage may also be set lower to compensate for the type of vehicle - there is generally a balancing effect somewhere in the lease contract.

(2) Leasing makes it harder to modify vehicles and you mention that you want to add a wing. Unless you plan to purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease, you will be responsible for returning the car to original condition (i.e. sans wing) with only normal wear and tear excepted.

(3) Monthly payment of $850 is amazing. I pay that much for my GMC Yukon. Although I would never recommend any one leasing this type of vehicle, you walk in different shoes than I.

Examine all the terms and conditions carefully and make a decision based on the information you gather from web sites that discuss the upside and downside to leasing. There are quite a few resources online that will help you decide if the lease makes sense from a purely financial standpoint.

Best of Luck

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is one good tip that was given to me when I went from my Porsche 911 to the Viper. Don't punch it unless your pointing straight ahead! A Porsche or a Corvette will slip a little to the side and then straighten out and your gone. A Viper will get wildly out of control very easily. It takes a lot more practice to control the Viper but that makes it a lot more fun. If you put a Vette with traction control into the wall, you really want to be careful with the Viper for a couple months.

I've had mine for a year now and feel very comfortable even purposely fish-tailing around corners, etc. but it took a while to find out how far you can push it before you are at the mercy of the car.

But you'll enjoy it!

Reaction score
Hi Robert, Good advise given regarding acquiring a Viper. Regarding the Vette-wall accident. Take as many Skip Barber programs as possible. If you order a Viper you can get a 25% discount on the 2 day school. The discount is for VCA members, New Viper owners membership in the VCA is paid by Dodge for the first year. You will need proof of purchase to get the discount. The Vipers massive torque can cause problems if power is applied before the car is straight. As suggested previously straight line braking and acceleration and look ahead to where you want to go. It is some times like magic the car will go where you look. Do as many autocross events and take as many driving schools as possible then do a Viper Days weekend. Participate in your local VCA activities, great people with a lot of information to share.