96 GTS Running running a little warmer than I would like.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Do You have the updated fan module? Not very expensive, but much more effective than the '96-'97 fan.

While water has far better cooling ability than antifreeze the antifreeze has other chemicals that you need and while freezing may not be an issue for you you don't want heat soak boilover. I'd stay in the 60 water/ 40 antifreeze range.

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How hot is it running and at what speed? I run at the middle mark on the guage on the freeway. It will get barely beyond the middle group of marks in traffic on hot days. I've been told that is normal with the stock fan.

OP
OP
Marv S

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The 99+ fan pulls a much higher volume of air. This improvement is most obvious by the sound and it brings down the temp faster in stop and go traffic.

In stop and go traffic the temp will still begin to rise, but when the fan goes into high speed the temp will come down much quicker with the new style fan. It's a fairly easy upgrade.

Getting and keeping the air out of the cooling system is also a big factor in these cars and you have a good solution with the air bleeder on the hose.

Follow the directions to get air out after a coolant refill.
http://www.viperclub.org/instructions/purging.html
http://www.socalviper.org/techtips/TT9.HTM
http://www.viperclub.org/instructions/bleeders.html

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the upgraded cooling fan and Sean Roe's silicone hoses on my '96. It still gets hotter than I would like once in a while, but it cools down MUCH quicker. My last step is to install the run-the-fan-even-when-the-engine-is-off setup that I got from Sean.

These are all very cheap insurance and highly recomended...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
DONT go pure water. Big mistake. Coolant is just that, and it adds important corrosion protection and pump/gasket help.

40% coolant, 60% water is best...

Add water wetter 2 bottles to the water side of the equation.

DEFINITE IMPROVEMENT is the 1999+ Fan/motor/Shroud upgrade. Direct bolt-on to 1996-1998.8 Vipers. 30 minutes.
Easy mod to 92-96 ! $159 from PARTSRACK, thanks.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cary V:
No, I don't have any updated fan module, what does it do? and where should I get it?........however my temp warning light comes on occasionally and especially if I am running around with my air on. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YIKES !

You undoubtedly need to BURP the system, and add the $159 fan.
CALL ME. FREE TECH SUPPORT TO CUSTOMERS! {and just about everybody else, too!}

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper