Buying my first viper....two quick questions

IA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time poster and soon to be viper owner. I have followed this board closely over the year. I have my mind set on an 1999 or newer RT 10. Here are my questions...

1) Is is worth getting the ABS option on these cars. I intend to use this car as an everyday driver and would like the option of braking hard in the rain and other adverse road conditions. My previous car is a BMW and I so I am used to ABS. My driving skill is probably average but I intend to step it up as soon as I get the viper.
2) Where can I view the 2003 (gen 3) RT 10 so I can make my final decision? I called the viper office at 800 998 1110 and they do not have a clue. I do not want to wait to the auto shows next year. MT has their second annual international car show supposedly featuring the GTS/R not the RT10. Sorry about being so verbose.
http://www.autoshow.aa.psiweb.com/concept.html

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IA,

1.) Only 01 cars have ABS unless you or someone adds it to an older car.

2.) You probably won't be able to get an 03' as current Viper
owners will have first shot. You may be able to buy one from someone who just buys it to sell it?

I hope this helps.
Steve

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Like Steve said

2. Like Steve said

laugh.gif

1) I think ABS is worth it, but they only come on the 01+ models

2) You'll probably have to go to a car show somewhere. Do a search for genIII, appearances, show dates, etc. and you should find a list of next appearances. And like Steve said, '03s are going to be hard to come by.

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to choose bet a mildly modified Steel ACR and a Saphire 01. ABS was my primary issue in the beginning, but color wins out for the non-daily driver. I am happier with the steel/stripes than the blue (too dark for me). Single year color choices may make it tough to choose.

If you get a GTS now, you may have a shot at getting a 03 later. Since there will be no hard tops for a few yrs, you could have fun driving a car that will hold value while you wait to decide on an 03.

If you wait a little too long, you probably will have a minimal chance at getting an 03; the GTS's may go up a little; you'll miss a chance at going to VOI in Detroit next year!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
ABS is advantageous, and is an added "bonus" under emergency braking maneuvers, but non-ABS cars still do a fine job of braking in the rain.

Grab a current generation Snake now, enjoy a year or two of 450 HP....and then take the plunge! You'll enjoy every minute!

You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
Hey bud I too am a first time Viper buyer. I was approved for a 2001 RT but I am getting a far better deal on a 2000, probably save me at least 30K. I plan just to drive the car on nice days but I have had many experiences driving a non ABS RT in the rain and I don't worry at all. Just be cautious especially when accelerating around turns and you will find that the Gen II is a very driver friendly vehicle.

I was working for Chrysler and I attended the Detroit Auto Show three times last year and I happened to notice every time more people were appreciating the Gen II a lot more that the 2003.

But its a free country, good luck on whatever you purchase and I'll see you out there!!!

OP
OP
I

IA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. This whole thing is driving me nuts. I will probably attend the car show below just to see the GTS/R and then make a decision. The good thing is that I probably cannot go wrong either way. It seems like the consensus is to get ABS if you can afford it. Since I intend to keep the car for awhile, I think I will. Here is the link to the Motor Trend Auto event. There may be one in your area. Look under concept cars for the GTS/R
http://www.autoshow.aa.psiweb.com/index2.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32