Wife blew my woofer! Replacement suggestions? (not wife)

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello out there;

Yep, I let the wife go for a drive to the movies with her girlfriend. They must have been blasting the stereo pretty good, and the woofer is now making that flappy, slappy, flatulant sound they make when they have been fried!

What is a better direct size upgrade woofer for my 01' RT/10?

They don't have squat for bass anyway, so losing what little bass I have is frustrating. I grounded my wife for an hour for hi-fi abuse? (just kidding).

Thanks for any replacement suggestions that would be direct fits!

Jim Wallace

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you might be able to squeeze a 10 inch sub in there..
smile.gif
smile.gif

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't waste your time putting any type of sub in there, you will get MINIMAL at best bass.
Just go with a good quality brand coaxial or woofer. Rockfod 6", Kennwood 6", Clarion 6", etc.

if you want bass, mount a 8" or 10" sub in the passenger foot well...

Gerald

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second Gerald's suggestion. Replace the driver, but if you want bass you'll have to go with a "real" sub in the passenger foot well. I used a Phoenix Gold 10 inch. I had tried replacing the two center speakers with a 8 inch sub but there isn't enough space to breath in there and they sound horrible...not to mention they are right beside your ear!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seeing that it is a 2001 and dodge advertises:
"If you like music, you'll love Viper's Premium Alpineudio System*,complete with 200-watt AM/FM stereo radio with CD player,
trunk-mounted amplifier and five premium speakers (six on GTS coupe)."

that is premium speakers not ones you wife can mess up!!!
I would try to get it cover by warranty.
does hurt to try. the worst thing that will happen is they say
no. right?

good luck
JIM
smile.gif

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, get it replaced under warranty. At least if you ever sell the car, you can put the stock speakers back in after you upgrade.....SOON
smile.gif
Im dying about the premium alpine stuff! It's alpine made for chrysler...you will not find the alpine stuff in our cars at ANY car audio shop. Below bottom end of alpine's line of equipment im sad to say.

As for replacements, I have been extrememly happy with eclipse products in my car. I cant comment on the other brands listed as I was sold on these as soon as I heard them.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brain,
the local audio place recommended eclipse!!
they have a 5 cd system that just ***** them in... no cartridge for $800.00
not sure if that is a good price for a upgraded radio system or not? the guy said the speakers aren't that bad but to do the radio.
thanks
JIM

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the exhaust baffle that comes aft forward, you'll gain little sound quality with a woofer in the back. Instead, you should put 6" coaxials in back, as some have suggested.

If you then determine that you need bass, get an 8" bazooka tube (as you will most likely not need more low-frequency in this size car) and mount it in the trunk. This will preserve the passenger footwell and you will be able to disconnect and remove the bazooka tube whenever you want [single monster cable going to the charge ports on the tube]. No permanent cuts to the car and you get great sound quality. The tube is self amplified and braced with straps, thus doesn't slide around.

I've heard this setup in a Viper and was so impressed that I'm planning to emulate the setup in the next few months. It doesn't hurt that the setup with replacement of back speaker and addition of apmplified tube is only $300.00.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
Lucky woofer.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ahahahHAHAHAHAHhaha!!!!

Looks like that woofer had a nice 3some!

G

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper