Question on stock radio for a 1998 GTS

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
On the stock radio, is there any pre outs on the back? I haven't attempted to take it out, but was wondering if I wanted to add things on, do I have to get another head unit?

What kind of stock speakers are in the car?

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that on my 2000 there was not any preouts. There was a single lead, not rca, looked kinda like an s-video cable going from the head unit to the amp. Made it impossible to change the head unit without changing the amp or vice versa. I think that was something new, so on your 98 you should have at least one set of preouts, maybe 2 for your amp mounted in the rear of the car. I doubt there are any more though. The speakers are alpine made for chrysler. Paper cones with extremely small magnets. Change em out and you will be much happier!

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stereo is an Alpine with a single multi-pin output cable (DIN?) to the rear amp. Replacing with newer/better versions of Alpine gear should be trivial, but a full replacement is a major hassle - mine took me several days to replace everything w/ high-end gear. Taking out the head unit is very easy - pop off the plastic dash piece and remove 2 screws. Removal was the easiest job I have ever done.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Anyone have speaker recommendations for the stock (GTS) set up? What are the speaker sizes?

Thanks</FONT f>

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been very happy with the eclipse products in my car. I was actually able to listen to them in the store owners viper before I bought them which really helped. The speakers are 6.5" all the way around the car. Depending on what brand speaker you like it may be easier to fit a 5.25" component in the front locations. I could not get the 6.5" eclipse in there as the magnets were too big. Have a look at the links in my signature below and let me know if I can be of further help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456