Vipers in California from out of state?

Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need the help from you California owners. I have a GTS (2001) that someone in CA is desiring to purchase and has asked me the question about emission equipment being different on a CA Viper verses a Texas Viper. I went to my dealer and looked at the dealer ordering sheet and did not see an entry to order anything special for CA. What's the scoop? Thanks for your assistance.

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipers have been 50 state legal for several years now. All he will have to do is take it down to DMV and they will look at the EPA sticker, collect their taxes and everyones happy. Sometime its a pain but it can be done. I got my car from Woodhouse in Nebraska.

Brad, CA viper owner

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe all 2001s are CA smog certified. There should be a sticker/label indicating such on the driver side under the hood on the top firewall area.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eric:
........... I have a GTS (2001) that someone in CA is desiring to purchase and has asked me the question about emission equipment being different on a CA Viper verses a Texas Viper.......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THE YEAR MATTERS! Since you posted 2001, you are OK. All 1998-2002 Vipers are 50-State cars.

From 1992-1997, Dodge only certified CA-ordered Vipers. This created many headachces for dealer-trades, and the Dealer Council lobbied to get Dodge to pay the extra CA fees on all Vipers. If you bring in a a used 92-97, their is some mileage/age formula to make it happen....quite a few owners registered in OREGON to bypass the headches and taxes. I know one guy who bought $5000 land in OR, just across across the CA border, to "Dodge" the taxes and fees. [Dodge dodge??]

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
The law in Calif. has changed as far as the older Vipers go. It only needs to have 2000 miles on it to register it. I just bought a 95 in Colorado and had no problems registering it in Calif.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62