PhilC and GTS Joe 97....Great guys

shawalka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all starts out a normal day. Well, not quite normal, my brother and I were running into difficulties installing headers on his camaro. Besides that, just a regular day. Later on in the night, I talk to PhilC online (Red/Silver ACR from NJ). He tells me about a car show that is going on in Jackson, and I tell him I'd love to meet up with him there. On the way there, I'm waiting in traffic and hear a loud car coming up on my right. Sure enough there is Phil passing me. Followed by a Red C5 convertable (The C5's are always behind
laugh.gif
). Well, after struggling to find a space to park, I begin looking for Phil at the show. During this time, I saw many nice cars, including several replica Cobras, a GenI Red RT/10 (I saw it while parking, couldn't find it at the show), and various musclecars. I finally find Phil's car, but can't find him. Well, after waiting by his car for about 30 minutes (and counting how many ppl looked at the Viper and the C5 2 spaces over...I stopped at 40 looks for one car, to 0 for the other...guess which one got more), I meet Phil for the first time. And a great guy he is. He was very friendly and a pleasure to talk to. And by no means is he stuck up like some other owners of high priced cars I've talked to. Before I talked to Phil, I noticed a few kids opening the door of the Viper and I was wondering if they were messing with it. (I didn't see Phil or any adults nearby) So I came over and asked if they knew who owned the car. One of them tells me, yeah, his dad (pointing to another kid). I asked where his dad was, and he politely lead me over to him. (Nice kids Phil, they are cute
smile.gif
) After a brief chat, we go over to the car and have a look. This is probably my favorite Viper that I've seen. I loved everything about it. Next he invited me to sit inside. I was thrilled at this point. The car fits like a glove and I could just imagine the power of it. Now, the show is dissapating, and this is when I really get excited. Phil hands me the keys and tells me to start her up. WOW. Remembering the pedals are a little to the left, I made sure I was on the right pedals, and fired her up. WOW AGAIN. I never expected it to rumble and shake the way it did. Next, he tells me I can rev it up a little. I took it up to about 2500 a few times, I didn't want to be agressive on someone elses car, especially because it wasn't warmed up yet. He told me I could take it a little higher, and I made it to 4000 on one occasion. I got out happier than a kid in a toy store. We talked for a bit more, then we went home. (Didn't get a ride because Phil had his son, but another time, ok Phil?) I thought my day was not going to get any better. It did.
After calling my friends raving how I sat in and started a Viper, I went onto a local highway to check out the car clubs that hang out in the various parking lots. While passing a White Castle, my friend yells out to me, VIPER! In the parking lot is a Blue/White GTS. While turning around, I make my friend a little bet that I can tell the year of the car. We agree I will look it over, make my call, and then ask the owner to see if I'm right. I think I can handle that. We come back and I go over to the car, which about 10 kids are drooling over. I ask who owns it, and one kid tells me who. I examine it and guess it's a 97. I ask the owner, and he tells me it's a 97. I just made $5. The owner asks me what the difference is between 96 and 97, and I answered on 96 the stripes go through the rear plate area. He tells me I know my sh*t. Life is good. After a brief conversation, I ask his name, and its Joe, I believe he is on this board as GTS Joe 97. Well, he is also a great guy. Of course the police are on the scene within a few minutes of me getting there, and tell Joe to move his car or everyone in the parking lot will get loitering tickets. Now that bothered me, because Joe wasn't just hanging out there, he was having some french fries outside. And, every weekend in every parking lot you will find a car club hanging out all night. It's a shame the police had to be idiots, just because it was a Viper and I'm sure they were jealous. So off home I go, $5 richer, with 2 great Viper stories. Tonight was the first time I've met a VCA member, and I met 2. I came home all smilies.
Thanks Phil and Joe for being great people, and have fun with your cars, they are beautiful. Hopefully this won't be the last time I bump into you guys. Thanks to you both for a good memory.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You see, us Joisey boys aren't so bad!

By the way...which Joe did you meet? We must have about 10 in our club!

OP
OP
S

shawalka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which Joe? Ummm...didn't catch his last name. But his Viper is a 97 Blue/White GTS, with some logos on the front fenders. (StopTech, TeamTech, Archer, and another one I can't remember) If I remember correctly, he said he is on this board as GTS Joe 97, but I could be mistaken on that..maybe that will ring a bell. Well, either way, great guy, nice car. Joisey ain't so bad after all.
smile.gif