Crankcase capacity

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always placed 10 quarts of Mobile One in the crankcase when changing the oil and filter. This would show as slightly above "ADD" on my disptick. Recently, I read that the capacity of the crankcase was 11 quarts. Whereupon, I added another quart and noted that the dipstick now showed above "FULL". Using a vacuum hose, I managed to remove approximately 1/2 quart from the crankcase (through the dipstick) without having to place the car on a lift and remove the oil filter. My question is really twofold: What is the crankcase capacity (with filter change) and will an additional 1/2 quart cause any damage????

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! If it's a 94, there should be only 8 quarts. Is there an oil cooler on 94's? I think so. If that was emptied, then there would be a little more (1qt?). But 8 plus what ever you put in the oil filter should be it. (Unless you upgraded the oil pan to a deeper pan)

Greg W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard 9 qts in the crank and 1/2 qts. in the filter. 9 1/2 total, but one dealer said they often and 10 qts. with no ill effects. This is for the '94 RT/10

Greg

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just changed oil and filter, it needed 9 litres to full on dipstick.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the year as JonB would say.... My 96' takes 8.5 Qts. The viper tech usually puts in 9 so not to starve the engine of oil in fast cornering, racing applications.

OP
OP
D

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The owner's manual indicates that 9 1/2 quarts is correct, but the dipstick doesn't show anywhere near full with that volume. (????)

Thanks for the replies.