Open Trailer / Closed Trailer issues

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kenny Hawkins was kind enough to let me borrow his Featherlite open trailer for Viper Days at Putnum Park. The trailer was great behind my '01 Suburban, but I'm not sure if open or closed is the better course behind an SUV.

The only concern I had with the open trailer was security at night and people gawking on the highway. I had to check the rearview mirror several times to make sure it was a Viper and not a load of naked women in toe (no offense) - the stares were numerous. I was paced for 10-15 miles at a time by admirers.

Any input or experiences for choosing between trailers? I have to admit the public response to the car was very positive. It was amusing to see some drivers "race" by as though they felt some accomplishment in passing the Viper while on the trailer!

Thanks,

Jeff

Michael Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 24' enclosed for much of the reasons you made. Was concerned about overnight parking while traveling to events as well as adverse weather along the way. Plan to keep the trailer 'plain' as not to attract attention... what 'they' don't know will not inspire vandalous acts of envy!?! And it's also nice to have enough inside space to keep supplies and equipment out of the weather.

A 24' is an optimal size but you will need to consider towing capability of you vehicle. You may want to do a search of the archives... lots of info out there.

Price ranges vary on models and materials. All Aluminum greatly aids in weight savings... but they bring the premium price. I went with a fairly basic but functional 10k# Pace Limited for around $7500. Figure on a loading *****... Vipers are wide and do not leave much space for getting in/our of door while in trailer! Spacing D-rings are critical especially if you have altered the front fascia!

Will share specs on my trailer and set up if you are interested.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The pros and cons are pretty obvious:

The lower cost, sexiness and sleekness and much better fuel milage of towing the open trailer.

I put many many thousand miles towing my Sloans. I added a car cover to the Viper when parked at night. Once, at Lake Tahoe, the resort allowed me to park under check-in canopy for 2 nts to avoid snow! ($50 tip helped.)

Biggest downside was a LACK of doo-dad space for extras.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was all set to go with an open trailer, when I was told by many guys that the biggest risk is debris from the road kicking up and damaging the car; that the swirl of air behind the truck could damage the car. Scratched the idea! Then I was all set to go with an enclosed trailer, when many guys told me that my 99 Dakota wouldn't be strong enough nor would it have the wheel base needed for the stopping power, so I was looking at a new truck, new enclosed trailer, a place to keep everything, not to mention the 60-70 thousand it would take to get there. And for 3-4 events per year? It just wasn't right for me. Some of you guys who do 10-15-20 events per year and have deep pockets, sure, God Bless.
I went with a hitch for my Viper, and a 4 X 8 trailer which carries all my supplies just fine. The car pulls it like there was nothing there. It's small, easy to store, for a total cost of about $400.00. Thanks to Chuck Tator from Tator Dodge, NY for the help in getting a hitch.

Andrew

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew made some very good points.
If you are going to use your trailer only a couple of time a year,you don't really need a enclosed trailer.
As a matter of fact you don't even need to own a trailer,you can rent one.
On the other hand if,like me,you open-track/race 15/20 times a year,it is not even a question,you NEED an enclosed trailer.
Yes a good quality trailer is pricy,I custom ordered my 24' triple axle Silver Lite composite trailer with 12v/110c,cabinets,bench,generator door,awning,etc and the cost was about 17K but well maintened trailer have a very high resale value.
The trailer fully loaded with the car,tools etc,weight about 9000lbs but my tow truck 2001 Yukon Xl with the 8.1 liter is rated for 12000lbs.

You need an enclosed trailer because:

Your car and gears stay dry,safe and clean
You can leave in it tools,generator,spare parts.
You have a place to rest and change.
You have money that is burning your pocket!!.

You need an open trailer because:

You don't care if your car and gears get dirty,wet or are unsafe.
You don't need/have tools,spare parts,generator that you carry with you all the time.
You don't need to rest and you don't care if everybody see your underwear when you change.
Your credit cards are maxed out.

Luc.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew2KRT10:
I was all set to go with an open trailer, when I was told by many guys that the biggest risk is debris from the road kicking up and damaging the car; that the swirl of air behind the truck could damage the car. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andrew, I dunno who told you that. I did have the faring on the front (a must-have option ) however. The same faring used on a semi-trailer! Just pull the Viper nose inside..

I tow in the mountains (Cascades) and towed from CAAP to Portland, and to Vegas, etc. Most of my open towing was 100-mile round trips to PIR, 44 miles on windy river-following mountain roads. Probably 25XXX open towed miles. I NEVER got a tow-debris-related chip.

NEVER did the tow rig, an Indy-Ram, kick up debris, even if I drifted to a shoulder. (shame on me!) The annoying mistake day 1 only was the Viper mirrors! They became the widest point, and would smash bugs. The bug guts would then broadcast onto the Viper's doors. Folding the mirrors each time stopped this....and looked cool!

A covered Viper parked on a trailer is less likely to draw prying eyes than a covered Viper parked on tarmac. Towing in rain made the car less-dirty than driving it in the rain.

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a guy that does a lot of towing:

With a very scary budget and the fact that we had to have a trailer I was looking to buy an open trailer. Then Mrs. DV advised me of how miserable "she" would be if just one stone came up and took out the windshield or paint job on one of our custom cars.

I bit the bullitt so to speak and bought an enclosed trailer. On our first trip, through the Alleghany Mountians, I was passing a semi when his left rear outer tire blew. I swear I thought I had been shot! The tire shredded and not only blasted my pickup but the trailer too!

We pulled over to inspect the damage, nothing but a few marks/scuffs down the truck, but the front of the trailer looked like it had been shot with 00 rubber buckshot! In fact, the large aluminum trim ring used to attach the top to the sides was dented so bad, it was cracked and actually dented the skin deep enough to see it on the inside of the trailer.

After I got over the fact that I wanted to strangle the truck driver, I simply kissed the Mrs., avoiding the "I told you" look and we went on our way - no damage to the car!

That must have been eight years and thousands of towing miles ago. Nothing like it since. So there you have it. Can it happen? Yup. Will it? Who knows. Do you feel lucky? Well...do ya?
smile.gif

DV

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth