Vipers Exempt From State Emissions at Bel Air, MD

Mark F

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In May I purchased a '97 GTS (Blue with White Stripes) with 40K mi and Maryland just sent my notice to have my emissions inspected at one of their state run facilities.

On Friday I drove up to the center, handed in my notice + a $15.00 check (yes, we have to pay for the "privledge"), and waited for the good/bad news. But the news was all good - the state employee said Vipers are too low to the ground and cannot be tested by their current equipment.

The testing they do is not of the traditional "static" or resting variety - a state employee drives your vehicle up on a small ramp with a rolling drum under the driving wheels and a large high-flow fan placed in the front of the car to simulate high speeds (and to cool the radiator). The state employee then "drives" your car (you can imagine how I looked forward to that) while it is on the rollers so your vehicle's emissions are tested at various speeds & loads.

The state employee handed me a MD emissons exemption certificate, complete with raised state seal, which is good for the usual 2 years. There was no cost for this or any part of this visit. I do not know if this situation is true throughout MD or only at this facility in Bel Air, but it works for me.

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,
The same thing happened to me here in NJ.
First no dyno.
Second no static (could not get rpm pickup)
Third new sticker.
I was also concerned about the whole process.
It turned out to be very good.
They told me it was their first Viper and they loved it.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark - What happened to you at the MD Emissions is what most of us have experienced. For MD Viper owners do not let them put your car on the "treadmill". I know both the Owings Mills and the Bel Air Locations will give you waivers, and there should be no charge.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Somehow I can't imagine the same thing happening here in Oregon. I forget the exact rules, but cars between certain ages get the dyno tests. New cars get the standard tailpipe test. There's no way I'd get a waiver if my Viper wouldn't work on the dyno. I'd at least have to do the tail pipe test. That's what they do with AWD drive cars.

I wonder what the difference in test equipment is. My lowered Z28 fits on the dyno.

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62