CD Changer - 6, 10, or 12 disc?

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to put a 10 CD changer in my trunk from Best Buy but they said they couldn't do it because of the skid plate underneath or some bull sheet like that. If you get one put in let me know how you did it, if you dont mind. Thanks, Paul.

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 12 disk Alpine changer added to my RT/10 but I had to go to a custom audio shop to have the work done. They used a long metal wire to push the wires through the opening that the amp wires traveled through. Don't let folks from chain stores like Best Buy and Circuit City near your Viper because they have little to no experience working with such a car and you don't want them experimenting with yours.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't speak to your question about the Head Unit, but I thought I would post a picture of my CD changer in the trunk of my 2000 RT/10.

I have to agree with tmcalist, don't take your car to a chain store for installation. I found a custom shop in my local area that had experience with Vipers and by the time they discounted the equipment, the system with the installation was the least expensive I found. I think the installation for a GTS has got to be much easier than for an RT/10.

You must be registered for see images

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">The MOPAR CD changer is nothing special, in fact it is quite generic. Also, on all Vipers with CD head units (96+), you'll have to use the optional FM modulator kit in order to get the signal to your receiver. FM Modulator = lower (FM like) sound quality. You'll also have to figure out where to place the wired remote. The MOPAR unit does have a IR remote included in addition to the wired one, but the IR receiver is in the wired remote, so you'll still need to mount it in a somewhat visible location.

Since there is nothing uniquely Viper about the MOPAR unit and since the unit is quite expensive relative to competitive units, (about a $100 premium) even with the nice discounts people like Chuck Tator or Jon B offers, I'd suggest that unless you need to have the Chrysler label on the remote or you have a 1995 or earlier Viper with the Alpine cassette head unit which has the proprietary DIN connector for a direct connection, you're better off heading to your local Best Buy and getting the nicest FM modulated changer that will fit where you want to install it, (under the passenger seat or in the hatch / trunk) Remember that there are clever ways to install it without drilling holes in the car.

I agree that you don't want BB or Circuit City installing it. Take an afternoon and do it yourself.....

</FONT f>

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperholics,

I realize this topic has been beat'en to death, but I still couldn't find the answer to the following question: Using a stock Alpine CD head unit in a 1998 GTS, is my only option a 6 disc changer? Can a 10 or 12 disc changer be purchased to work with this unit? Basically, what are my options while retaining the stock Alpine CD Head Unit, and what are the pros/cons of different options (ex. Will installation to head unit be more complex with a 10 or 12 disc aftermarket changer, can a neat installation be performed in the trunk with a 10 or 12 disc, etc...?) Thanks for any info., as this will be a winter project.

OP
OP
P

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Best Buy install the head unit, and they did a good job because the guy said he had done a Viper before (?) but that is what he claims. But he did not know how to put in the CD changer so I don't know if he was totally sure about the procedure. I may have a custom shop put me in a CD changer one day in the future. But I did check around before I got them to install it and he was the only one that said he had experience with Vipers, plus I don't have a clue how to install anything electrical.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get quite a nice installation in the trunk of your Viper. You can also utilize the factory head unit - but if you're doing an elaborate system then you won't be able to! It won't push the power & give you the sound quality you want. They make Alpine head units now that blow the factory one though! You can't even use the factory unit to get XM Satellite Radio - and trust me that blows even CD's!!! And for only $9.00 a month. Here's a link to what I did in my Viper. This is a good starting point & has a lot of useful info. for you. Hope it helps.

My Viper Stereo Pics