Fire bottle location

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need to mount a fire extinguisher for opentrack. What's the best location (excluding rollbar)? Anyone fabricate a seat bracket setup? Photos?

Thanks,
Eric

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many guys have had viper fires?
Is this a common event?

Does it only happen at the track when the parts break on overheating engines?

Is this a good upgrade for a street only car?

Any advice Sean or Jon....

thanks
JIM

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of our local tracks also requires an extinguisher. I picked up the chrome extinguisher from Double Venom (Ed) and the bracket from Sean Roe (like the pictures immediately above from ACR Autopia). Even though my car is a street car 95% of the time, I leave it mounted there. The bracket keeps it right up against the seat, which means that the passenger legs won't bump it at all. You can still see it pretty well, which always sparks (no pun intended) some interesting comments. "Is that FACTORY?" "Whoa, it really IS a race car!" It provides some peace of mind and almost came into play this last fall at the drag strip when a Mustang behind me caught fire. They had the track extinguishers on it immediately, but I was grateful to have mine ready to go if need be. And it really does look cool!

Chris

OP
OP
M

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scott, et al thanks, ordered one from Sean this afternoon - appreciate the tip -- that was just what I was looking for.

Jim - Event organizers (tracks, clubs, schools etc) have their own set of rules about safety equipment at track events. This particular event is organized by the nor cal Shelby Club (Luc - you out there?). There are lots of vintage cars that run, some very well built/maintained (both of Luc's Vintage mustangs, for example), but there are also a number of others that didn't have the advantage of a similar budget. There are some kit/project cars that I wouldn't want to get in, if you know what I mean. This club errs on the conservative side of safety, gloves, driving suits, roll bars and driving suits are all requirements for the fastest group. Fire extinguishers are manditory in all groups.

Luc, you driving on the 15th?

Thanks all
Eric

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I built a mount for mine out of aluminum. It's attached to the passenger seat bolts.

You must be registered for see images

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sean Roe (an advertiser on this board) makes a real nice mount for that.
It mounts to the passenger seat bracket, kinda like the one pictured. I think I paid about $150.00 for the mount and a red Halon ext.
Give him a call.
Cheers,

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad to help.
I have run with the So. Cal Shelby club at Willow Springs.
A real nice group of people, But I was surprised how "casual" they were about safety stuff. I didnt even need a hard top (cool cuz I dont have one).
You are right about some of the cars ..kinda scary, but also there were a couple "real" Cobras I didnt want to get anywhere near, just in case.
Cheers,