new oil pan, windage tray etc - advice pleae

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installing the complete upgrade - result of advice from JonB
New 10qt oil pan with baffle kit and windage tray, and a gasket that reportedly will last "forever"
Question - what kind of gasket sealer should I be using.

Last time I had the oil pan off an engine was in 1975 - I can't wait to get into this project tomorrow.
Thank you in advance.

tristan rizzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your gasket is like my 94's you should not need any sealant. The only thing to watch for is in each of the bolt holes (and there are a lot) is a little metal spacer....make sure you don't loose any of these. I forget what they get torqued down to when re-assembling, but when you install the windage tray, and pan make sure you use the correct torque specifications. TNT has the specifications if you need them, I called them and they faxed a copy.....good info
Tristan

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also had a windage tray and oil pan upgrade from JonB, installed last week by Cam over at Maltby Motorsports. As I recall, he did apply something to each of the 4 gasket corners, but I'm not sure what it was. I do know that he did not run a bead all the way around the gasket. Cam also mentioned that the PartsRack aluminum gasket was the very good one, much better than the stock gasket. His site is www.maltbymotorsports.com, you may be able to ping his e-mail from there and get some advice.

A

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Even tho the billet-casket gas a permanent neoprene sealer, be sure to add gasket sealer at all holes, and esp. at the rear main and front cover seal seats..........

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Torque spec for the pan bolts is 95 inch pounds.

Gasket is not permanantly reusable, but if you don't use sealant excessively, possibly reusable.

As Jon stated, you should add silicone sealant at the 4 corners where the timing chain cover seam is and in the rear where the rear main seal retainer seams are. Clean the seams first with a light solvent so the sealant seals. Easy to see once you have the pan off.

Make sure the rails are 100% clean or leaks will occur. Be especially careful around the oil pickup channel. A very light coat of sealant on both sides there is probably good insurance.

There are no metal spacers on GEN II oil pans. I'd also use a touch of removable lock-tight on the windage tray bolt heads. Nothing on the oil pan bolts.

</FONT f>

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would suggest that you seal the entire pan gasket on both sides, with Permatex high temp. Ultra Copper. I originally did only the four point sealer which worked for several months, then small leaks developed at some of the bolt holes, after several track events. You also should consider using blue Locktite on the windage trey and the oil pan cover. I found two loose pan cover screws after a season of running with red Locktite. Clean out the screw holes and use the blue. The screws can be removed, but it takes more torque to break them loose.
Jerry Scott