Savannah Dodge is a joke..........

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NEWS FLASH, SAVANNAH DODGE IS THE WORST EXCUSE FOR A 5 STAR DEALERSHIP THAT IVE EVER SEEN. IVE SEEN TOILETS THAT ARE MORE HOSPITIBLE THEN THIS PLACE.

1/07/02 I traveled to south Fl. to purchase my 99 rt/10 with 10000 miles on the clock. The car was great except for the 2 rips in the factory soft top. It turns out that the tears are directly on top of a plastic piece on both sides that connects to the support arms. So the tears are basically right above the screws where you would attach the arms to the header when inside the car. You could clearly determine that the only reason this top was ripping was b/c the wind would make the canvas vibrate and move while rubbing on this plastic pieces on both sides. So the dealer, which wasnt a dodge dealer, said to take it up the road to the Pompano Dodge dealership which had a viper tech there to inspect the top for warranty issues before I finished the purchase. So I showed the problem to the service manager and he said,"no problem, its clearly a warranty issue and b/c you are within the 3yr 36k mile warranty, any 5 star Dodge dealership will resolve this issue for you." So I asked that he put this in writting and sign it so when I returned home to Hilton Head Island S.C. I could show it to the nearest dealership which was Savannah Dodge. I felt great at that point.

I returned home and made the appointment with Savannah Dodge. I brought in the car and showed the tears to the service lady and she made note of them and I left the dealership. Ten minutes later I get the call, Mr. C, we can not warranty the top, its not a warranty issue, so my temperature begins to boil as I turn around and head back to that crappy dealership. I asked to speak to the service manager and he takes a look at the car while im standing there. He begins to tell me that he can't make the call as to the problem being warranty or not. He says that trim parts on the Viper are a sensitive issue and he would need his district manager who is the regional dodge ****o## to come over and look at the problem. So I showed him the piece of paper that the other Dodge dealership had wrote on stating that is was clearly a warranty issue. He says that this piece of paper means nothing to him, but he would have the district guy take a look. I felt o.k. at that point.

Two days later I get the call and the service lady tells me that the tears are not going to be covered under the warranty and good luck getting it covered. So I called the 800 number to customer service and explained everything. He says I have bad news for you, the service manager at Savannah Dodge told the factory service rep that the tears where caused by improper folding of the top. Therefore, the factory district whatever he is guy never even saw the car. He made a ruling based upon the service managers opinion. This drove me up the wall. The customer service manager continued to tell me that theres nothing he can do b/c once the factory service manager rules on something theres no overturning it. Then he tells me that b/c I'm not the original owner that its gonna be real hard to get this issue resolved. Sounds like they frown upon the reselling of used vipers, what a bunch of ****. He finished with one statement: If that other dealership said that they would warranty the top then go there. This is a 5 star company telling me to go pound salt. I cant believe that this is how they treat their customers. What a **** joke. This is their highest line of cars that they produce, you would think that they would be there to support their customers.

I called the Pompano dealership and the service manager couldn't believe that Savanah Dodge was treating me this way, as was the company. He said he would speak to his manager about it.
So I'm stuck, I have a ripped top and no support. Who ever heard of a top ripping in 3 years and only 10k miles or road use. That's inferior quality in its sharpest form. Do you think Ferrari would treat you in this way? Absolutely not.... I've had better experiences with Cadillac and Lexus. They know how to treat customers. Savannah Dodge needs to get their **** together. This is clearly misrepresentation of their products and I'm not going to role over on this.

If anyone can help with info on a better dealership and has direct contact info please let me know. I could use all the help I can get.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you a VCA Member? The VCA had been able to help many onwers resolve problems in the past. Do take the time to track down your prez. Look at the home page (www.viperclub.org) for prez listings and phone #'s

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That really *****!! Occasionally you hear stories like yours. Seems to be a dealership that we VCA members should avoid! I do believe though, that most dealers welcome Viper Owners with The Red Carpet treatment!
Good Luck with your Top. I would believe you will have it fixed under warranty shortly. And now you know to stay away from that mess!
If you are not a VCA member, join today! Great people, with loads of information, big hearts, and the best cars!!

OP
OP
S

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I hope to get this matter resolved soon. As for the 454 vette, ive got the 454 bored 60 over, edelbrock aluminum heads ported, flat tops giving a true 10.5.1 compression, a comp. roller cam around 610 lift. demon 850 double pumper carb and a richmond 6 spd. with 390 gears. It will show its tail lights to my viper.... Love those big blocks and there side pipes....

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to a VCA friendly dealer and this will not be an issue. If you are a member, call the Regional President and find out what dealers in the area support the club. The problem you now have is that your car has a mark on it in the system and it will be hard for any dealer to help you now. Honestly, it sounds like the original dealer knew it would be a problem, and sent you to another dealer hoping that they would just do it. If it is a warranty issue the original dealer should have offer to resolve it immediatly, and you would not have had any of these headaches.

One other question, are you the second or third owner of the car? This will make a huge difference in you final resolution of the problem.

If you need any help let me know. Good luck.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Dodge warranty is only transferable once, that is why I asked. I was afraid the selling dealer knew this and tried to pass you on to another dealer?

The easy solution, get the selling dealer to resolve it. If that doesn't happen let me know and I will see what I can do for you.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We recently combined the NC and SC clubs due to the retirement of the SC club President. We have been successful in the past in getting soft tops replaced for issues identical to yours.

Just as there are better Chevy dealers and better Caddy dealers, there are better Viper dealers. The VCA supports them, and they, in turn support us. While I am not as familiar with viper friendly dealers in SC, I can try to assist if you are a VCA member.

Just as an FYI - a note from one dealer to give to another is pretty much worthless. Each dealer is a separate business. If they would have done it, it should not have been a big deal to order it for you and have it shipped when it arived. Sounds like they bailed on the issue.

Steve - FYI - I believe the warranty transfer issue is only applicable to extended warranty, not the original 3/36...

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
sounds like the service manager was more against you than the warranty.

I had my trim piece that went bad and my factory warranty was out. i called the customer service line and they called the dealership and spoke w/ the manager and he said that it needed to be replaced. I think the warranty people just want to get a yes from the service manager because my zone rep said no on it.

heatandair

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sav. Dodge is the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!I too live on Hilton Head and Sav Dodge is where i take my 95r/t. I also had a problem: My shifter would move the whole lenght of the gear box when i got on the gas. It moved from first all the may to touching the right side of the box. Motor mounts right? Wrong Sav. Dodge told me that every viper is like a finger print and that it was normal and that the mounts were fine. Even after i told them it didn't always do it. So i took the car to a local mechanic that is really good with sports cars and after two hours i had my car back working fine and in a plastic bag were 2 motor mounts that were split in half. I also have a warranty that should have paid for the work so... my name is Dave Miller 682-2665 call me an we will go after these jerks. 5 Star my A*$

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the hard time you are having with that top
frown.gif

I've had a very bad experience with the dealer I purchased my car from but that's another story. I was very lucky to have some friends that knew what dealer to go too afterwards and that helped me out tremendously
smile.gif

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by ZX1100 on 01-25-2002 at 04:15 PM</font>

OP
OP
S

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like savannah dodge has screwed more people then just myself. i wish i could let the world know how ****** they really are. its mainly there service manager...... Anyway im having zero luck with this so called warranty situation. i wish someone could lend a hand or a rock solid idea.... thanks anyway

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Let's go hang this service man! I hate service managers who think that they are god or something..they kind of remind me of a few cops I know. Not all service managers are bad..but it just takes one to ruin it.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni, FYI many owners have been declined a warranty due to the fact that they have been the 3rd registered owner. They may have changes this, but it was a big issue in 92, 93 and 96, when people were flipping the Vipers regularly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235