Lighting under the hood

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I am looking into the engine compartment trying to admire my newly polished aluminum frame cross member (way to much time on my hands), it dawned on me that with the way the hood opens, it is often difficult to get good lighting to parts of the engine compartment. And of course it is extremely difficult to show off the engine when the ambient lighting is dim which has happened to me on occasion.

I got to thinking that a nice upgrade would be to wire some engine compartment lights either into the hood or somewhere within the compartment itself controllable though a switch in the engine compartment. I scanned the local car parts places and didn't run across anything that rang my bells. I was looking for something fairly small and inconspicuous, yet which would put out a fairly bright and focused light that could be directed onto the engine. Anyone else try doing something similar or have suggestions?

--- Ken

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that Sean Roe sells a light for "under the hood"...but this is FUNCTIONAL, not for exhibition type lighting, by my recollection.

OP
OP
K

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't find anything in my Roe catalog. I am looking for both function and show. For show, I'd want a fairly intense, white light that could be focused on the engine. Most functional underhood lights I have found seem to put out a fairly soft diffuse light. I might have to reduce myself to looking in the ricer catalogs.... perhaps baby fog lamps, I just don't want too high of a current draw.

Maybe I'll just rim the inside of the hood with neon lighting
smile.gif
. If I come up with something slick, I'll post it.

--- Ken

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I used to offer an under hood light (made maybe 20 of them) and could again. When we switched websites about a year and a half ago, that was one of the products I didn't put on www.roeracing.com. Just kind of got lost in the shuffle and forgotten about.

Here's a picture, from about 2 years ago. Sorry for the poor quality, I enlarged it from a small picture. It was in the daytime, so the light from the bulb looks rather yellowish. You could run one of them on each side and install brighter (whiter) bulbs. The lamps had a built in mercury switch and would only come on with the hood open and the parking lights on, but it could be wired different (hood open, no lights on). We did them for $34.95 each.

You must be registered for see images

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,

I bought one of Sean's underhood lites last year. If he decides to carry it again you might want to pick one up. The light works great and has really come in handy. Note: works when the key is turned on...no unnecessary drain on the battery.

C Stegall

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, I think Gerald has strobes and neon lights under his hood with singing monekys too. It's his style.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A while back, one of the parts suppliers on here came up with one. Activated with a mercury switch. Just can't remember who was selling it.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ken,

I'd be glad to make a set for you. Call our shop at (904) 733-5469, or toll free at 866-ask-Sean, and dial ext 2 , then the # sign to place the order. They will ship out about 4 days after you order.

Sean

ACR Larry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,

Not to take a sale from Sean, but I have one that I never installed. Le me know if you would like me to send to you.

Larry

ACR Larry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,

Still need the under hood light? Just send me your mailing address. You can't beat the price! $0.00

Larry