question on changing oil in gen 1 differential

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased the synthetic oil from the Dodge boys proper MilSpec number according to the maintenance manual. Here is where the question comes in. I was told by the parts guy that I needed 2 bottles (4oz each) of the limited slip additive due to the Osha folks making the original additive hazardous. (the original being purple in color)

Is this reasonable advice? Should I simply add 8oz of additive to the gear oil when changing?

Is there any other considerations, oh by the way's or gottcha's I am missing?

Thanks in advance,

Art

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad_Byte,
You should only need one bottle of additive[4oz] with new diff fluid.
BURNOUT.gif

OP
OP
Bad_Byte

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ulysses:
No, I'm not worried about over fill, heck there is a hole there it'll just leak out (I have the same problem with corona bottles), assuming I don't tip the car over on its side to fill it.
laugh.gif

Chuck:
I was told that the 'new' additive (the non-purple one) was only about half as effective as the original additive (the purple) thus the reasoning to add two bottles. In other words if one is slippery two is twice as slippery.
cool.gif
I was told that with only one bottle of the new additive that I wouldn't get as much slip and could/would clunk around corners etc.

Thanks

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the advice on this board. I knew a Viper Tech that was using rear gear fluid for the tranny. I change my own fluids and that was what he recommended. He said it came out in a TSB to reduce NGR. I asked to see the TSB and as it turns out he had the wrong part number.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both the "old" material (mine was green, not purple) and the newer material (amber) have the same Chemical Abstract Number (CAS) so it seems that there is a labelling problem, too. I'm pretty sure the CAS number is used for hazard warnings and chemical identification, so it would seem it is either exactly the same material or has exactly the same hazards...

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad_Byte,

You I must party with
smile.gif

I have heard two and I have heard one bottle. When I had mine changed the Viper Tech only used one. I would go with what Viper Wizard said. However, I don't see any ill effects that could happen if you have already used two.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32