Just bought my first Viper

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a 94 RT10 and picked it up today, 1B3BR65E7RV101656. It's high miles, 103000. Is that a record? It has had it's engine replaced at 95k miles with used engine. This was done under warranty by a Dodge dealer in Woodbridge Virginia. The car seems to run properly. It has the loose shifter problem, the isolator, and I know about that. The only drivability problem seems to be the clutch. The pedal needs to be right on the floor all the way or the clutch drags and shifting is hard. If I wind it up to high RPM I can't shift out of whatever gear I'm in without massive pulling on the shifter. Here's what I think is going on, I hope. The clutch hydraulics are either bad or have air in the line. The clutch has centrifical weights that will normally make it harder to disengage at high RPM and the air in the line is keeping the clutch from disengaging at all when it needs a little extra pressure. Help me out here folks. This is probably the first in a long series of questions. Thanks, Joe Moraski

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Joe! The upside to the minor ailments that your car has is that the Viper makes for a very entertaining hobby. I'm sure with some tinkering and a small parcel of shop time you'll have your new toy running fine. My car has been a pleasure since day one and it has surpassed my reliability expectations ten-fold.

Enjoy

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,

Congrats on the new toy. I think I saw that car in the Post, and wondered about it a bit. You are probably right to check for air in the clutch fluid lines first. I happen to have a clutch from an early 93 that only has 7k miles on it. It's yours if you want it. Not completely sure it will fit. Send Ron Hickey (our local president) [email protected] your address, and he will send you out our latest newsletter. We have a tech session coming up in about a month.

OP
OP
J

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I paid 25$k. The guy I bought it from gave me a deal, I think. He seemed to want to put the car in my hands for 25$k. I'm glad I was the one who came to buy it when he was ready to sell it. Anyway, it seems to have really worn brake disks, I need to get it through Maryland state inspection and I'm sure they will say I need new disks. Has anyone got an idea what they should cost? I think I can spend some bucks fixing this car and still come out ahead of what I would have spent on a low miles car. This car has lots of miles on it but I still think I got a deal. I would like to buy a hard top for it, anyone got a line on a used one?
By the way, I was the winning bidder on a Viper auction on ebay about a week ago. It was ebay#600893095. The guy refused to sell me the car after I was the winner and above his reserve price. He's a real ****. I thought I boughtr a Viper for $35K and he just backed out on his own deal. After that I found the one I bought today. I have more tales to tell about ebay auctions for Vipers.
I can't believe I own a Viper.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way to go Joe and welcome to the Viper Nation. Be careful on the turns, however ... these cars can really fish tail on you if you are not careful.

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I started shopping I really wanted to get a low cost Viper and restore it to new. Your deal would have been a welcome one for me. I ended up talking to Bill P @ Woodhouse and got a good deal on a low milage 96 (no side pipes)
frown.gif
,but a Viper is a Viper no matter which one you own.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave