First Time Owner - Picked it up today!

mjguflaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all. I just bought a 2000 GTS grey/black w/stripes. I'm so excited I can barely speak. I've already called and told everyone I know (a few of which were genuinely excited for me and a few others who feigned interest long enough to appease me). But I figured you guys (and girls) would appreciate it since I'm sure you had the same feeling at one time (and probably still everytime you get in it). Anyway, I've been inside for about 15 minutes now, and since the weather is too bad to go driving,I'm going to go back out and sit in the driveway and make "vroom", "vroom" sounds.

Mike

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I'm going to go back out and sit in the driveway and make
"vroom", "vroom" sounds.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh heh heh
laugh.gif
Congratulations. Have fun!

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that you've obviously told all the people you know... the fun has only begun...

Wait until the first time you drive it through town and find that it stops traffic and causes people to yell at you (YEAH! GREAT CAR!). Then just TRY to pump gas without being engaged by people wanting to talk about the car...

Then... if you're REAL BRAVE, drive it to a hardware store (Home Depot) at 8am on a Saturday and shop for a SHORT while. Guaranteed there will be a crowd around the car...

Advice on questions at the gas pump:
Q: Hey bud, my Corvette is faster...
A: Probably so, I've seen Corvettes do under 10 sec. in the 1/4, and my car's pretty slow, it only gets 12's.

Q: Want to trade for my...
A: [Pause, look at ground...] My wife would kill me... I'm already in the dog house.

Q: Want to race?
A: [First find the name of the local drag strip] Sure, see you at [drag strip name] track one of these Wednesday nights. (I don't drag on the open street. Oh, and many require helmets for cars faster than 13.8 sec.)

I'm sure the other Viper owners could come up with 100 other Q/A's!

Lastly, don't drive it too much... keep local sightings rare, so your neighbors feel SPECIAL when they make that chance Viper sighting!

Enjoy!

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sure that you won't ever get over that special feeling. I hate to get home with mine, it means its time to stop driving.
What I can't figure out, how can you be having bad weather, in
FLORIDA(?), I put 1500 miles on mine in January in Ohio.
ENJOY AND CONGRATS!!!!!!

OP
OP
M

mjguflaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all. Well I used about a full tank of gas today pillaging the Miami freeways, sending little imports scampering for cover. A few initial impressions:
1. I cannot believe how much attention this car gets. Men, Women, children, young, old, they all seem to gawk at the car. My buddy has a 993 that's black and has a turbo body on it and he was complaining about how much more attention I get than he does in his car. I was a few cars ahead of an NSX in traffic (a familiar view for most imports no doubt, the rear of a viper) and a couple of cars pulled up along side me and gave me a thumbs up and waved. They didn't even slow down for the NSX.
2. OMG is this thing fast. I came from an M3 which wasn't what I would consider a slouch in performance but this is like night and day. I can pummel 90% of the cars out there, including anything with "Type R" or "Mugen" written on it, at freeway speed in 6th gear without downshifting. Not bad.
3. Anyone wearing shorts should be required to sign a waiver of liability before riding. Those door sills get mighty hot.
4. One passenger complained that it didn't have a glove box. I said "sure it does, it's behind you". He said, "how do you carry things", I said "in a truck".
Well that's it for day one. can't wait for day two.
Mike

Reaction score
Congratulations!

First use the go pedal when the wheels and Snake are pointed straight. Brake under the same conditions. The massive torque of the Viper has caused many unsuspecting street racer to visit the body shop or worse.

Suggestions:
1. Join the VCA-Great people, many enjoyable Viper events as well as social events. Events range from local, regional and National.

2. Take A Skip Barber 2 day performance driving school. They discount the 2 day school 25% for VCA members. This discount pays for more then 2 years of VCA membership.

3. Take a couple Skip Barber Car Control Clinics followed by a 3 day racing school.

4. Check the Viper Day's Schedule and experience the Viper's performance on a race track with other Viper owners. Which is safer than street racing.

5. Contact Sal Zaino for the Zaino supplies to keep your Viper polished.

Keep the rubber side on the road.