Changing the transmission and differential fluid

SteveMat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to change the fluid out of the Transmission and Differential and was wondering what type of pumps other people have used to pull out the thick differential fluid.

I found the below but can't tell if it will pull out the thicker differential fluid. Does anyone use either of these or have a better idea? Don't need anything fancy, just something to do the Viper and maybe my other cars...

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=44480
http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=11948&prmenbr=6970

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the Vacula vacumn. It's for pulling fluid through the brakes but I use it for everything else. It works off the air compressor. Kinda pricey. Any $15 hand pump will probably work fine.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just changed both. You should change the fluids after driving the car and getting the oil temps up to normal operating temperature.

Quote from the maintenance manual.

"Drive the vehicle until the differential lubricant is at the normal operating temperature."

This means the oil will not be as thick and easier to pump. I used the same 12 volt electric pump I used for changing my boat oil. I also measured the amount of fluid I took out just to ensure I got most of it. Its an easy job.

The difficult part for me was learning that it takes an allen wrench to get the plug out. I couldn't see it.

Good luck. Be sure you get the correct fluids for the differential. I ended up going straight to the Dodge dealer for the fluid and the additive. The fluid is a Mil Spec 8985 and your regular automotive parts places don't carry it. The additive (4 oz) is especially important for the limited slip differential.

Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss