CAR WON"T START

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CAR WON\"T START

Had a low battery sunday but jumped my car and drove it no problem.Went to start it today and battery was low again, cranked it but battery went dead before it started so I put a charge on it and it started but wouldn't idle and cut out.I tried to start it several times after that and it would not start my 1/2 idle for 2 or 3 seconds then cut right off.Charged the battery for 4 hours and now the car cranks fine but won't start.Any help appreciated.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: CAR WON\"T START

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Check the voltage. The PCM needs a minimum level (don't remember the number) and without it won't function regardless of the fact there there is enough juice to crank the engine.

Try a set of jumper cables as a test.</FONT f>

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like you have two problems. A battery with a dead cell and a alarm system that thinks it was triggered. Did you pull the battery to charge it? That may have caused the alarm to think that it got triggered.

As Ron stated above, the PCM needs 5 Volts. If a battery cell is dead, it could drop below that level.

To check for a dead cell, pull the battery again and use a specific gravity tester on all the cells. Start with the cell closest to the positive side first. I have found that most batteries usually have that cell go when this occurs. Good luck and let us know what it turns out to be.

P.S. Resync the alarm also. And when you get it back up and running, have someone check out the alternator just to be safe.

OP
OP
J

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks guys I will pull my battery and check, it so far all have done is charge through the posts under the hood.One thing though I left the charger on it while it was cranking and it said like 16 volts does this matter? Also do you reset the alarm buy holding both buttons down at the same time? because I did do this and the alarm seems to be working. One last thing initially the car started up for like 20 or 30 seconds but would not idle like they normally do when the battery is low, but even with me holding the throttle it died and now gives the indication of no fuel but of course it has fuel. It almost starts but not quite.

dadsvpr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

had the same problem. hit the alarm deactivation on your keyfob. it did the trick for me. the alarm system tells the car not to start after a battery disconnect. this was very frustrating and ultimately a very easy fix.

i did end up replacing the battery (under warranty!) cause i think it ended up getting fried from charging, jumping, etc.

jason

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've found once the battery goes flat, and the cold gets to it, they've had it, they won't hold charge well again. Starting draws what the battery has, and then it hasn't enough to properly supply the electric fuel pump. Also a flat battery is as good as a battery disconnect...the PCM has to relearn 'ideal' idle. If it fires on turning the key, and straight away cuts, then I would guess imobilser cutting in. Good luck!

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am haveing the same problem right now. Battery went dead charged it and then replaced it. Now car turns over but will not start.Had to resink alarm and key fob but still will not start.This is on my 98 GTS.

CAVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't want to scare you and keep in mind this hasn't happened to me on the viper but on my 97 ram ss/t. I put a charger on it and used it to try and start and it ended up damaging the computer, same problem it would run for a few secs and then shut down and hope it is'nt that but thought I should share the info. Let us know what it was.

Randy

OP
OP
J

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well since maybe 2 of us are having this problem, maybe some technican that comes on the board has seen this problem and knows the solution.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly what happened to me,had to disconnect and reconnect the battery then sinc the alarm with the key fob.

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, I took the ECM out of my 01 ACR and put it in my 98 GTS and it fired right up.Then I put the old one back in and it will not start.So there is my fix.

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

mmm flooded engine? running and cutting off and then not running is a good indication of flooded engine...

alex
00 m5
few other cars

Reaction score

Jamie -

Assumedly, If your battery is more than two years old it may be time to retire it. I'm referring to this as more of a "preventative maintenance" method. Your car may not run or hold an idle if the battery is bad. Throw a new battery in (or one that you know is good) and reprogram the alarm. See if that helps.

Regards,
Doug

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had this same exact problem w/ my 97 GTS. I flat-bedded it to Archer Dodge & my Viper Tech said I had a dead cell. Think he replaced the battery & I was fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235