OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

Always the voice of reason and conscience
smile.gif
...I appreciate your evaluation of Chuck's post but I as well read it as Marc has. I will be a little more subjective and intuitive from here on.
Now to the point of the matter...what "heat" are you speaking of that would come down from outside the forum?(you may email me if you like). Also, it is evident that what Marc and I are requesting is a response from DC that allows those of us with concerns to have our cars seatbelt systems replaced (by a franchised dealer)if they do indeed have the "potentially" faulty system. I realize that this is a legal issue that reaches much farther than the Viper owner group but it is my responsibility to my family to insure their safety when we are in the car. There are no corporate policies, economic concerns or legal expertise that will change that for me(and,as a guess, probably everyone else on the board) and I am still awaiting a response from DC about this situation.

No flame...just fact...
CStegall

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen,IMOHO my belts can be released with a minimum of contact with my elbow. I will take the necessary steps to correct
my own personal car. Be reminded that in an accident where there
can be multiple impacts i.e. rollover with alot of flailing around you may find yourself thrown clear of the vehicle.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Marc, the first round is on you.
smile.gif
Apologies accepted.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Viper Wizard on 03-19-2002 at 10:12 PM</font>

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marc,

Your opinions and concerns about this issue are right on point. My feelings about this issue is the same as yours. I am honestly and sincerely hoping that someone at DC is reading the posts on this board and taking note. I wonder how many Viper owners don't have harnesses,roll bars or cages and depend on the seatbelt system as one of their line of defenses should an accident occur. As Tom pointed out earlier...I have installed harnesses in my car but day in and day out I use the stock system when driving so I do demand its performance. I do know that when the car is moving 50-60-70 mph so are its occupants and it is extremely important in a crash that when that car finally comes to a stop that so do the occupants...inside the car.
My sincere hope is that this subject continues to be viewed and responded to by the Viper owners(and others)on this board.

CStegall

cycloneGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cstegall:
I am honestly and sincerely hoping that someone at DC is reading the posts on this board and taking note. I wonder how many Viper owners don't have harnesses,roll bars or cages and depend on the seatbelt system as one of their line of defenses should an accident occur. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Same here. Before the post, I wouldn't have even given the seat belt a second thought, but the button is obviously raised and easy to release. I have no plans on racing, and therefore no plans on adding a harness, roll bar or cage. I need to depend on the seat belt in the event of an accident, and right now, I don't feel good about it!

Mike

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CStegall,
This thread/link has been forwarded to the main office. And I will make a phone call in the morning.[OH YAH-They will read this!]
devil.gif

"Aye Matie"

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Viper Wizard on 03-20-2002 at 07:46 AM</font>

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

Thanks for your efforts with DC and I look forward to seeing their response. I imagine that it will be the same as before but this time they will be making it AFTER they have seen our concerns in writing...hard to ignore the owner body.

CStegall

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Wizard,

This is great news and shows just how well your efforts work. Keeping this issue in front of the Viper community and making sure that DC is reviewing will obviously show us some results..and we will continue until we get the results we need.

Thanks again Chuck,

CStegall

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,

I am working on some information concerning this issue and would like to hear from any/all Viper owners that have/use the stock seat belt systems and are "concerned" about the possible early release. If you would like to respond(positive or negative) please email me directly at [email protected].

Thanks for your input,
CStegall

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Clark:

Thanks for your efforts to stay on top of this important issue. Many of us in the Viper world upgraded our dashoards to add the airbg cutoff switches, so that our children could also enjoy riding iin our Vipers. After all of that effort, we find outthat the seatbelts aren't sfe for any of us? What was DC thinking when they did this? Do they think little old ladies drive Vipers to the store and back?

Let's all get in DC's face about this and get it fixed ASAP. I for one don't feel safe driving with these belts. I guess I need to start thinking about a 5 point for my car now. That doesn't solve my problem of driving my kids around.

Thanks for your ongoing efforts. DC needs to get off their cans and do the right by all of us. I am amazed that this has not comeup as an issue with Viper owners who have been in some accidents.

Brad

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
The listing indicating production years having the GEN IIIs is wrong as my '98 GTS also has them. I have TeamTech 5-pts. for the hot seat, however, I don't want my better half ejected from the passenger seat in a bad accident. Why no response from our National VCA officers or DC? Are the buckles the same on the new SRT-10? If no clear answer by VOI7, DC better plan on having one then and there!!!
pissed.gif

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,

The BOTTOMLINE is that we all bought the cars with the understanding that the beltsystems met federal standards and, more importantly, public standards. I,personally, did not buy my car so I could run out and then have to install 5pt. systems(which btw..I do have). It has always been accepted that the 5pt.systems were a step(or more) above the federally approved, government tested, dummy accepted(ones in the tests) belt system. I want a better answer than what the lawyers at DC have put out. There is a lot at stake here...and it is NOT monetary...it is our lives...so let's act like it and all stand in the same corner. All it is going to take is for one accident to occur where the beltsystem is one that "may be affected" and I think we will see the entire Viper group up in arms.
Janni,DevilDog,Brad and of course Marc...thanks for the input and the concern...you guys are helping keep this in front of the owner group and not buried in old threads...

Thanks again guys...
CStegall

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

Any word from DC on this issue? I have spoken to some others that may be able to help. I am beginning to acquire emails from many viper owners that are expressing their concerns. There are a LOT of folks that are driving these cars that would like to see DC respond with something besides silence and a few words stating that they have no plan on addressing the issue "at this time".

Thanks for your efforts,
CStegall

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,

Is this seatbelt issue one that the Viper nation is not interested in resolving? Is the fact that DC has issued a "not gonna do anything now" statement keeping you from speaking up on this issue. Emails I have received are showing that there are Vipers out there that are not on the list but seem to have the potentially defective beltsystems. I am very surprised that this issue continues to seem to be only the concern of a select few. It is not easy getting the giant to move...but it can be done with facts, faith and persistence. There are those of us willing to standup and be counted...even if only within a post to a thread. DC is seeing this...we must let them know it must be addressed

Thanks for reading...
CStegall

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cstegall:
All,

Is this seatbelt issue one that the Viper nation is not interested in resolving? Is the fact that DC has issued a "not gonna do anything now" statement keeping you from speaking up on this issue. Emails I have received are showing that there are Vipers out there that are not on the list but seem to have the potentially defective beltsystems. I am very surprised that this issue continues to seem to be only the concern of a select few. It is not easy getting the giant to move...but it can be done with facts, faith and persistence. There are those of us willing to standup and be counted...even if only within a post to a thread. DC is seeing this...we must let them know it must be addressed

Thanks for reading...
CStegall

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
CStegall,
I'm with you! It must be addressed by DC. I plan on bringing this up as an issue that requires resolution at our next Club meeting on the 13th and requesting our new President and Wing King to get us an appropriate answer from DC. I think maybe most members are taking the attitude it won't happen to them. Do we really want to wait until one of our members and possibly a passenger are ejected from their Vipers while wearing the bad belts to get an appropriate answer from DC? I personally don't want to be one of the silent majority that waits like the Dept. of Transportation until someone is killed at an intersection to put up a traffic light.
DC please respond to your loyal Viper owners.

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DevilDog,

I SALUTE YOU!!! Your input and feelings are the very reason that this issue will continue to gain momentum. There are spectators and there are participants, and you are definitely a participant...all for the sake of safety for all of the owners of Vipers. Wouldn't it be great if all the clubs had the same concern and drive as you have...as I have said before...DC cannot continue to ignore the owner body.

CStegall

cycloneGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also amazed that more people have not contributed to this thread! By now, everyone has surely gone out to their Viper to see if the seatbelts have the "raised" release button, as described, and tested it to see if it can be unintentionally released. As I stated before, I had not intended to buy a 5-point harness system, but I may have to look into it, just so I can feel safe.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vipermad:
Actually...I've been installing my Dilusi Front Brake Air Deflectors and writing the Illustrated Instruction....On my way out to look right now
Is this it?

You must be registered for see images

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tony,
That's it!

OP
OP
C

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

Great to see you post...thanks. It is important for all to understand that in this issue it is the height of the release button that decides whether the system is safe and whether it will pass the federal standards. The problem is that the "ballbearing" test was failed by those DC systems in which the release button was designed too high and not flush or almost flush with the belt latch. As the three sizes of ballbearings(small-medium-large)were rolled down over the belt and onto the metal belt latch and then over the button...if the button released than the system was judged to be suspect. As you move down in ballbearing size the suspect becomes potential and the potential becomes probable. The DC beltsystem had problems with all three sizes. The pics that you and Ron have posted are exactly what this forum needs to see. Ron has done a ton of legwork and all should view his post on whether this issue can be solved.
Test your belts...here's a question...if your belt has a "probable" chance of early release is that like riding around without a belt at all? Let's see every Vipe owner test his/her belt system and post their results.
Thanks for your interest...be safe.
CStegall

cycloneGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned an '89 Honda Accord that was recalled for a seat belt issue. I didn't give it much thought at the time, but I think it was very similar to the Viper seatbelt issue before us (because of the solution). They took an "adapter" (for lack of a better word), that slid over the release button and holder and attached it with two screws. This effectively extended the holder to protect the release button. Perhaps this type of solution could be (or is being) looked into by DC. I don't have the car anymore, but it is still in the family (sister), so I'll see if I can get some pictures next week.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Viper Safety Bump!

CStegall

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ditto Bump! DC we need an appropriate factual reply!This issue will not go away by itself.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Viper Safety Bump!

CStegall

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ditto Bump! DC we need an appropriate factual reply!This issue will not go away by itself.