Mobil 1 Oil Filter Failure...... (Long)

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over the weekend, Henry and I finished the second installation of the ACR Oil Filter Adapter (Illustrated Instructions coming soon...) and therefore, an oil change to my car. (Henry's car was completed last weekend with no problems...)

After priming the filter and filling the car with about 8 quarts, Henry started the car to circulate the oil so that we could check the level in the AM and fill to proper level. Well, soon after he started it, he heard a "phhfftt" noise (is that spelled right???) turned off the car and saw a nice stream of oil forming a large pool of $5/qt Delvac 1 Grrrrr... under the car near filter location. Hey, its only 11:30 PM, we did not have anything else to do....

Oil cleaned up OK. (Lots of paper towels and some De-Solv-It orange smelling stuff and the unsealed black concrete floor did not even stain.) No longer leaking. Quit for evening.

Next AM, looked at oil filter from above and there was oil collecting around the rim. Unscrewed filter and put new one on. Inspected filter. Gasket material had sunk into the recess so that it was no longer making contact with the oil filter adapter. Gasket still in one piece, but definitely pushed down into the groove in one place. New filter appears to work fine. Car appears fine - did not even lose enough oil to be at add line on dipstick.

In an effort for corrective action, I called the number on the filter box - 1 800 ASK MOBIL. The quality conscious rep there told me that I should "bring it back to where I bought it so that they could make it right". Not what I was after, I told him, I am now concerned about the second filter. Well, he says, "I've been here 3 years and I have not heard of any problems." Well, heck, with that kind of bulletproof quality control system, not only is your ISO9001 Registration in the bag, but I am satisifed with that answer
You must be registered for see images
(sarcasm...) Thanks, I say. "If they don't make it right, you can call me back..." Whatever.

Undaunted, I surf on over to Mobil's website and call the Technical Assistance number for Lubricants. Guy there helpful - asks a few questions and puts me on hold. From there I am directed to Champion Labs for quality issues. Champion Labs makes the oil filters for Mobil 1.

Call Champion Labs.
Person there very helpful. No quality issues on Mobil 1 filters at all, but would like to have engineers look at this filter failure. (Correct answer) Sending a "recovery kit" (sounded like paper towels and a couple of ziploc bags
) and I'll send in. Said filter has to be torqued a little more than most and some cars have really high oil pressure at start up, those being possible causes. We put filter on according to directions and all cars have to start, don't they? I told him I did not think this was my fault of my car's... Within 15 days, will receive a report from their insurance company on the failure. Was also given the name and direct number of the person in charge of warranty claims / complaints.

Will let board know results - expect within 4 weeks if I get the kit right away. Went back to the oil filter analysis today to look for alternatives. Don't know that we'll change, but may have to depending on the failure analysis. Little nervous about having a filter failure and not glancing at your guages in time.... Anyone else have any Mobil 1 filter problems?

Thanks.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Interesting and disconcerting.

I just attended this AM an oil filter tech session at NAPA.
(Did Spark Plugs Saturday.)

The Fram Orange was indeed a joke. The worst. I have toilet paper in nicer condition.

The NAPA Gold had every component better, from case to gasket to filter medium (more and better) and the internal spring and check valve that most other filters did not even have. The ONE filter they did not compare against (or even have in the store) was Mobil One. That's when they talked price !

So, I confidently snagged some NAPA Golds for my fleet, including the Viper. I look Pfffffffforward to hearing Mobil One's response

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression that Champion Labs manufactured the Mobil filter. I use all Amsoil products: oil, oil filter,air filters,and gear lube(when it's time to change). Have had good luck the last 26 years with their products.

Steve

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that Amsoil sells Hastings filters. From the test data I have seen, It appears that the Amsoil filter is not the identical filter to the Hastings. It is one step up for combined efficiency and capacity. As is the Mobil 1 & Hard Driver filter.
The NAPA gold filter is significantly less than the above.

Steve

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My construction company has over 500 pieces of equipment ranging from very large Hitachi excavators and CAT bulldozers to Freightliners to large and small pickups. Some days, we spend more on filters than some of you spend on Hoosiers for a big race! After many decades of using every (reputable) filter under the sun, we have settled on NAPA filters for the entire fleet. The only time we use OEM is if NAPA doesn't make one, or the machine warranty requires OEM.

I run a NAPA Gold filter on the Viper.

Next to NAPA, I like the WIX line.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is from the link Filters to Avoid... provided by Janni

"WIX
Another quality oil filter similar in design to the Purolator. It has metal end caps on the filter element, a standard nitrile anti-drainback valve, and a seemingly good flow. They are manufactured by the Dana corperation. These appear to have a depth gradient filter element, which uses cotton fibers to progressively trap smaller particles as they get deeper in the filter. This helps maintain good flow as the filter gets plugged. "

I have used WIX for years, and just wrote to them (Email) as to their compatability with synthetic oil --- TOTALLY COMPATABLE and used by many NASCAR cars. The Viper filter is : WIX # 51085

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan M 98 GTS NY:
and frost that melted off her car. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's that?

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading all these posts, I am re-thinking my methodology. I take Mobil 1 to the Chrysler Plymouth dealership, they change the oil and put in a Mopar filter. I think I will bring along a NAPA Gold filter too from now on. Don't need to be loosing any of the engine oil through a blown filter. Hope everybody's engines are still ticking ok.

TAPROOT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did a search for oil viscosity because the time is getting near (01 Viper). I went to my local Mal Mart and bought up ALL of their Mobil one!!130 Qts 10w-30 and 170 Qts 5w-30.. The 5 thirty is for my other cars and the 10 thirty (as i just found out) is for the Viper.

Well to rehash this subject I would like to know why there was no mention on the OEM Mopar filter????I use the OEM filters on all my cars. I thought they "designed" them for the motors?? True? Should I stick to the OEM? I change my oil in my cars every 2k miles so a "extended life" type of filter probally will make no diference to me. Your input is needed!
Thanks -
Ivan

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Champion Labs makes the following:

K&N
Mobil 1
The NEW AC/Delco Gold (I think that's what it's called)

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Regarding OE. Oil filters (Mopar)
I am no expert on this, but one thing to think about is if the oil filter fails, causing engine failure, and you are not using a Mopar filter, it will probably be a much bigger hassle getting your engine repair covered.
I would guess DC would be willing to step up if it was their filter that failed, but if you use aftermarket, you would be on your own, having to deal with the oil filter maker regarding your claim.
just my .02 but that is why I use Mopar oil filters on my Viper.
Can Anyone from DC or a dealer back me up on this??
Cheers,

OP
OP
Janni

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posted summary of failure analysis report on antoher thread - sometimes this old stuff coming to the top is misleading... Access the Failure Analysis here

Not confident in M1 filters anymore - have heard of a couple more failures since original post. Most likely will be switching to NAPA Gold - only have 1 M1 filter left. Supposedly I MAY have been able to spot the problem before installation, although I doubt it - nothing was visible and unless I really pressed on the gasket, I would not have been able to detect it - and maybe not even then.

Corrective action plan was not too spiffy, either.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Wix made Napa Gold.Anyone know? Jon B?PS I have used Mobil 1 filters on 95--41k miles and 00GTS 3k miles without incident--so far

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Don't want to make this thread any longer than it is already, but I must have missed the point. Is there something wrong with the MOPAR oil filter that I've been using religiously on my 96 GTS racecar for 5 years and 21,000 miles without any problems whatsoever?

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have actually seen this on a truck filter. I would assume all manufacturers have an end cut every so many filters manufacturered. I think this means we should inspect before buying...

Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper