Calling all B&B Header Owners, or anyone who wants to help.

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After doing alot of research on this website, I'm considering B&B Headers. What I couldn't find is long term impressions on the B&B's. How are they holding up? I'll assume since they are stainless that everything is ok. How about the finish after long term use? I intend to go with 3" high flow cats as well as a 3" Cat Back exhaust system, for anyone who is using this setup, how is the heat under the hood with the stainless headers? From what I hear mild steel headers ( ala Belanger ) run cooler under the hood, but it's the longevity of the mild steel that worries me there, I realize that no one doubts Belangers ability to make power. My last question concerns the VEC1, does anyone who bought and used the VEC1 wished they'd went with the Dastek? Thanks for any and all replies, my research is near complete and I hope to install a full exhaust system soon.
BURNOUT.gif

Thanks to JonB for the recommendation on the Blue Mopar 8.5mm Plug Wires, they look awesome!
cool.gif

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have complete B&B stainless headers to tips. Stainless does run hotter, I was concerned and had them (headers only) triple ceramic coated (company in the UK cost $800!).

I have not got 'public' before about the following (but seeing as I've been waiting and keep asking for over a year now for payment of) you should be aware of all the extensive re-fabrication work I had to have done to my system, to make it fit on a Viper!! I chose B&B for 'value', and the all stainless: last a life time appeal, and the illusion that if I bought a complete system from the same manufacture it would all fit...I wanted no hassle!!

(Belangers do fit well, I know also from personal experience, and are of good quality, get the coating Belanger put on them.)

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding the life of the mild steel header from Belanger vs. the stainless steel one from B&B, there's no big worry here since the Belanger header is JetHot coated and I've had this coating on the headers of both my street rods for ten years with no ill effects, and it still looks good. Some would claim it does not last as well on a race car due to the extended higher temps, but I have no experience in that dept. The coated headers do run a bit cooler on both my hot rods and cool down much quicker after I shut the cars off. Pete the ex glass guy.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't B&B and Belanger the same design (someone copied someone) anyway I have the Belanger for a year now and 15,000 miles everything is fine except I spilt some oil on them which caused the coating to peel off in a small area. If you concerned with cost why not go with Edelbrock? the difference in HP is small.

OP
OP
S

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MES, cost is not the issue. I'm looking for a header that will last a lifetime. Stainless is supposed to last, but then heat is a concern. In your case when your coating came off in a small area, what did you do to prevent corrosion?

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 11,000 miles on my B&B headers with no problems. I also have the stock heat shields on and it helps to keep the heat down.

I don't have any experience with the VEC1 unit, but I do have the DASTEK piggy back computer that Jason Heffner installed and used to tune an additional 16 HP into my car. Cheapest HP increase to date.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>MES, cost is not the issue. I'm looking for a header that will last a lifetime. Stainless is supposed to last, but then heat is a concern. In your case when your coating came off in a small area, what did you do to prevent corrosion?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK then, can you get stainless B&B's coated? If so that would seem like the best way to go, last a lifetime + reduce heat. Either way you should put a heat shield over them, on the Belanger's it reduces the heat a bunch.

I didn't do anything to prevent corrosion, should I? I've been told Belanger's cannot rust, maybe some other corrosion? Last I checked it just looked ugly, I didn't notice any corrosion. It was on two tubes right above the oil filler cap, and right under the little rain hole from the hood speaker.

Also I have the VEC1 which did show a dyno gain of 5 rwhp (not on the 436 shown in sig) so it does work but don't expect big gains.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had B&B on for three years. No problems. Installed perfect. They are made with thick flanges so the don't warp. I didn't even use a gasket between collector and headpipe, just Hi Temp sealer. Hasn't leaked a bit. I did drill three holes in the front and rear of the side sills to circulate cool air inside. With bigger cats and 3" pipes it's hotter than stock.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Unichip is made by DASTEK--a South African company. This device has been used for some years in racing. You can get more info from their website:

DASTEK Website

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456