This post is 1 year in the making, I bought my GTS!!!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, well, well,

Have to admit, I have a smile on my face as I type this, I'm dead tired, just pulled a red eye from Vancouver, and have to get some sleep, but here goes:

I am now the proud owner of one of approx 50 Cdn Spec 1997 GTS in Blue/White. 100% stock (K&N, smoothies). 35K (22K miles approx). Mint, Mint, Mint.....still smells new, original brakes, tires, etc.
After losing out on a few US cars I switched my search back to Canadian Cars (I live in Canada!). My only colour choice is Blue/White, most of my previous sports cars were the same colour. At one time owning at the same time a low 12 (off the bottle 5.0) and high 13 winter ****** 5.0 both in blue. The choice for a blue car was a no brainer, it's my trademark here in Lillaput, the trick was finding one.....
After pestering a BC owner to death with numerous phone calls, we agreed on a price, and booked the flight under time constraints, somewheres around 5 mintues to go before the flight costs quadrupled into a Bus class flight as opposed to red eye. Keep in mind this car was not for sale at all, merely a VCA member who had not renewed his membership, therefore I figured some prodding into the situation would perhaps yield me my blue/white in Cdn spec (gotta love that 350KPH speedo).
I flew out and checked the car out on Sunday, go over it for 5 hours, wrap the deal up, and then have a 5 miles jaunt to get the car from the owners house to the waiting enclosed trailer just beyond the border crossing. We set the transfer up for Monday afternoon, as to allow time for the check to cash, sign off paperwork, etc.
Wake up Monday morning, look out the window from my hotel, anxious to see the weather and am greeted by snowplows plowing the highway, this region of BC has the hardest hit snowstorm since 1955 I think the weather channel stated, nice, no one said it was easy........
smile.gif

With both the seller reluctant to drive the car over the border in the snow, as well as myself,(touchy liability issues as I possess the legal signed off ownership, yet the car is not legal to drive in my home province. Seller can't drive the car under his insurance, as his company no longer has an legal "interest" it in, I have a temp tag, but have never driven this particular car yet, let alone at night in a snow storm) we scramble and find an intermediate shipper that will pick the car up, flatbed it over the border and then dump it off to Concourstranspot from there.
Things are a touch dicey at the border, US customs exercising there "authority" on the situation for some time, regardless we eventually made it thru, myself following the tow rig in my trusty rental car......
After a rough 3 days of wrapping up this deal while I am present for all aspects of the sale as to prevent no loose ends, the final straw was the transfer from the border carrier to long haul carrier, why not induce palpatations by transferring the car 4 feet in the air from lift to lift!! Running, in reverse, in the snow, at 1 am, bottom of the tires at my eyeballs, ahhhh yes a perfect ending to a perfect weekend
smile.gif

The car is now en route over this way, should be delivered in 7 or 10 days or so, and then I am good to go.
After reading this board for a year and eager to get into this car and make it quick from the get go, toss the exhaust, shifter, etc. I am thinking I may leave the car stock for a while, and then enjoy each mod as they arrive. By establishing a solid baseline I can watch the car progeress in power each stage of the game is my theory......
I would like the final stage to be somewhere near Miami Beach, ohhhhh Mr. Levin...
Seriously, with the car being 100% stock and mint, the mental debate to modify is huge, I think a summer of feeling out the car will help ease the decision. That and maybe a good spanking from a Z06 or Supra will have me online with Jon for some Belanger products that same day, haha...
I have to thank all those that helped on this board leading with advice and suggestions on all aspects on getting my blue GTS: Denny for the help on logistics on US/Cdn cars, Craig for his Cdn experience for anything Viper, Mike Pavloff for pounding in messages that anything other than a 97 is not considered a Viper, haha, Z06 Dave, for some tidbits from the cupholder gallery, conversations with the infamous Bill P, Eric Lee, and other dealers in the know, Bigs for making me feel youthfull after downloading some of his recommendations in music, Chuck and Gerald down south for insurance and muffler delete issues, heck, I'll even throw one in for Norman, who stated recently that those that talk of buying a Viper and do are 2 different breeds, that one hit home, and decided to end my lurker status. Next stop, losing poser status with some track time.....

Have pics every step of the way, hoping they turn out, they'll be up soon, I'm off for some zzzzzzz'sssss
I am a happy man, time for a little 450 horse excitement in my neck of the woods,
Ryan Bilyk
PS Peter shoot me an email, I'd love to pop over to your place with my GTS and listen to your Corsa if that's kosher with you, one comment from a Ricer that my GTS sounds like a Civic with a Fart Can and I'll run no exhaust till the good stuff comes in!!!
BURNOUT.gif

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Great story and glad you finally were able to find your Viper. I liked the story so well I think I had better go home and drink a Molson just to celebrate the spirit of the occassion. And they said there was nothing that could be better than 2 Olympic Golds in Hockey, eh? Baloney, wait till your friends come over to your house, they will see the real star of 2002 !!
Cangrats and welcome to the wacky world of Viperholics.

Serpent 97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new toy.Sunday was a nice day here in Van.Too bad you weren't around YVR at around 5pm-6pm.My friend and I were flogging my snake and his new TT Porsche at this nice long strip right by the airport.I just love that 4th gear chirp.We were just doing a car at a time while I was filming them.Had to hear the complete Belanger set-up from a spectators point,gotta say that is one loud exhaust.What did you pay for your car,as there are not too many Vipers around here to begin with,and who did you buy it from?Anyway good luck with your new beast.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by genXgts:
...Bigs for making me feel youthfull after downloading some of his recommendations in music,...
BURNOUT.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You were beginning to be known as "the ultimate tire kicker!"
laugh.gif

Gennie - "I'm going to be getting my Viper soon..." for 5 frickin' months!!
laugh.gif

Congrats and welcome to the owners realm! Now go burn a Carpenter's CD and Rock Out!!
laugh.gif

(Sure hope it gets there Ok! ;) Make sure and get LOTS of sleep between now and then!!)
laugh.gif

OP
OP
G

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay Sean, ready for a meet up, thinking a Dyno Run for a baseline and then maybe cruise up to Grandbend for a few runs, you know, just to get the feel of it,haha, oh yes, could be doing so much worse things on my weekends....

Thanks for your help as well Sean, we had a good phone conversation and took heed to alot of your advice!

Finally, get to change my signature, plain and simple for now:

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats!!! Be prepared for that smile to last for about the next 14 months at least (I've had mine for 14 months now and the smile is still there so I speak from experience). Good luck.

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...Congrats on a successfull hunt...get ready for the Mopar Day at the Grandbend event July 7th. There is a special trophy for the Viper Class this year,and you get to meet the Ontario Viper owners at the event. Everyone is welcome to join in...By the way which club are you joining.

-------------
99 slv./con. GTS
VCA Preident Ontario Region

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations and welcome. you'll find youself using this website more than any other.

BTW nice color combination.
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..Thanks Craig, soon the events will be posted...we have a lapping day April 20th at Mosport Development Track, school and lapping instructions...

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad, I have an exam that day.

Hope you get a good turnout. When you say mosport development track are you talking about the whole track or have they built a new smaller track?

Craig

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ryan, so pleased to here your fab news...brother '97 coupe owner. Glad the purchase search / anxieties are over. Shame Joel & I didn't get to meet up with you the other week in Windsor. The Canadian weathers not changed then, still snowing (rain back here in the UK)! Enjoy your Viper.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan,

Congrats! Welcome to the club!

At first I had my doubts, but after we exchanged some e-mails, I knew you had been "bitten" and would end up with a Viper some day. I'm glad you got what you wanted!

You are right on. Enjoy the car stock for a while, get a good baseline, and savor each mod as you go.

Cheers!

--Mike

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan, I was going to pull my Viper out of storage this weekend, but then the snow hit today and it is supposed to snow on and off for a few days. I can't wait to get rolling again.

OP
OP
G

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey you guys can't wait to get rolling again, and I can't wait to get rolling period!!!!

Looks like delivery one week from now, around Easter weekend at the latest, prepping the garage for nesting as we speak.

Thinking of hitting the grand bend 1/4 in early april as soon as they open for some baselining, you in Sean?
Maybe we can round up some other cars in the area, I know a few in the area that may join for some runs..........

Counting the days, one by one....

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by genXgts:
Thinking of hitting the grand bend 1/4 in early april as soon as they open for some baselining, you in Sean?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ryan, I think it is a litle too cold to take my car to the drag strip quite yet. With the temps like they are around here in April, I'd be spinning my tires all the way down the track. You'll see. When the Viper finally arrives take it easy with it, cold tires and torque like the Viper has don't mix too well. Wouldn't want you to be one of those Viper owners who wrecks their car in the first day of ownership.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the final straw was the transfer from the border carrier to long haul carrier, why not induce palpatations by transferring the car 4 feet in the air from lift to lift!! Running, in reverse, in the snow, at 1 am, bottom of the tires at my eyeballs, ahhhh yes a perfect ending to a perfect weekend
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In case anyone missed this little detail. OMG!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235