4 Post Lift Collapsed

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=258483&page=1

Just wanted to give a heads up as I know several members use these for storage and service. The model involved is a Perfect Park from Lifts Unlimited.

I know this is really not RT/10 or GTS specific, but it would seem important enough to place here at least for a little while so the most people will see it as I don't know who all has a lift.

-Matt

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 4 post lift myself. One time I accidently missed one latch when unloading it in the raised position. The unlocked corner dropped (slowly while I depressed the button) about 6 inches below the adjacent corners before I noticed. The cables on the opposite corner did get very loose but did not fall off of the pulleys. I raised it back up again and all was well. Hair raising (thank goodness I had the park brake set well) but no pain. My guess is this guy did the same but before raising it back up he did not check that the cables were all on the pulleys and free. Only word of caution is to make sure all 4 locks are engage when the car is in the air, especially if another car is below.

I have a Stinger 4 post. It looks very similar to other 4 post lifts with the moving portion inside of the posts.

Ron

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've already talked to the folks at lifts unlimited. They are doing what they can to help. I think the problem lies in the adjustment of the cable. It was too lose and came off the pulley as he was moving the lift up and down. When it came of, it rested on the pulley shaft. This in turn sheered the pulley off.

What a sad thing to see. There are a few of us on this forum that have that particular lift.

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Mohawk asymmetrical lift is extremely safe and is the Cadillac of lifts. Many safety features and no chains. Safety latches every 3". Hydraulic on both sides. You could store a car underneath, but I don't because I do not want the wheels hanging.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And to think i was considering a lift in my new house.
i guess i will definity go 3 car garage instead of
2 car with a lift...

very sad to see...

JIM

MW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Green">After years of wanting one/research I went w/the Bend Pak (10,000 lb) real commercial type 4 post. Was &lt; $3000 . Not "portable" , 4 x 3/4' studs in concrete in each post, huge hydraulics and chains. 18inch wide ramps that w/ a 2x12 board Viper drives on easily. Shipped in on flatbed 18 wheeler. A job (they wanted $500 to install) to put in but just taking time and w/ help. Very heavy duty. Store car under w/ total confidence. Just have to pay attention and keep it serviced as w/ anything. Someone that really works on their cars would LOVE it! </FONT c>

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now it seems I need to do my homework. I was thinking about a lift at home for my garage. Never thought about it being unsafe.

Thanks,
Max

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that lift that collapsed was not bolted down from what I understand. Many 4 post lifts aren't bolted down. I wouldn't get under any lift for that matter which was not anchored to the floor. I have a 2 post Challenger lift and when doing tranny removal the vehicles shake and so does the lift arms. I can see how a 4 poster could collapse when doing work that necessitated alot of wiggling. I can see one leg "kicking out" for some reason. 2 post is the way to go - hands down - that is if you work on your cars. Lifts by frame and the car cannot "roll off."

If instaling a lift in your residential garage you need to keep in mind 99% of all 2 post lift require at least 6 inches of reinforced concrete. Around here in homes they use 4" with 3,000 psi mix, which is very weak - and many times they do not use rebar, wire mesh or fiberglass impregnated. When building my shop I went 8" thick and 5,000 psi concrete - fiber mesh.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I designed my garage specifically for a 2 post life but ended up only using a 4 post. This allows the distribution of weight to four points instead of 2. 4 inch, 4000 psi rebar reinforced concrete is fine for this application.

BTW, Lifts unlimited offered to pick up Chris' old lift and install a new one. They even offered to pay for the broken cabinets. Chris did not want them to pay for the cars since he is insured. Looks like lifts unlimited is standing behind their product. Whew, thank God.

mrviper99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had a lift in my garage for 9 years with my 92 RT 10 on it and 6 years with my GTS under it, have never had any problems. I believe it goes back to you get what you pay for. I have a Rotary Lift (name brand) this brand is used in all the auto plants for servicing execs cars. Top of the line. 9,000 Lbs. You have to think of safety first when buying something that picks up a car and that you might work under. I have seen the kind that you don't bolt down, scares the **** out of me. My hoist cost 5 K but I know that my son can have it to use in 20 years.

Jim Peffers

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a Cytech "Double Park" lift and have lifted everything from my Viper to a 6500lb truck. It is used heavily (both my friends and myself use it), and has never had a problem. The lift is constructed so that the cables cannot come off the pulleys unless you first remove the axels that the pulleys ride on. It is mounted on a 6" thick reinforced concrete floor and the only maintenance I have done is keep it clean and lubricate the moving parts with WD40. I am very satisfied with it.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think a 4 post leg would kick out and that is not what happened to this man.

It looks like one leg was not locking, so he jogged it up and down. He may have went too far down and the cable loosened etc. etc.

If one of the leg locks was not working, the first thing to do is to LOWER it all the way to the ground and figure out why the bad lock was not working, not to play with it 5 feet off of the ground.

All of us with lifts need to pay attention to the lifting and lowering to make sure the locks are engaging and all is going up or down in a level manner.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like what my Double Park dealer/installer told me came true.

I never mentioned this before, because I thought the dealer was just blowing smoke. But, as he was leaving after installing my lift, I asked about what he knew about the other brands. He said he has installed them all, and one of the worse quality lifts was the Perfect Park. Told me anyone using them WILL someday have a problem, with the lines coming off, or what bothered me most, was the inadequate welds for the stops and how they are poorly welded to very thin post metal. He said he saw many failures with the posts and none with the Double Park.

Also, he told me that Perfect Park buys their lifts from somebody else and just puts their name on it. Double Park makes their own.

Still don't know if he was still smoking, but maybe not now.

PS: The same thing happened to me, where I failed to make sure all four corners were latched when I lowered my GTS. It got out of wack about 6" before I noticed and panic set in. I quickly raised the lift making sure the stops were engaged. Didn't hurt a thing. However, will be a little more careful after reading about the failure.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Great idea with the link, Tony. I SURE HAVE put my plans on hold...was looking at Perfect Park to "add a little space" in upper garage ( structural engineering consultation fees SO FAR nearly equal to price of lift)...would HATE to drop a few of wife's Vipers through floor onto several more!!! While my spandeck floor in upper lavel has plenty of room for the weight, would NOT want to "test it" with that type of dynamic load. Double Park looking MUCH BETTER to me...NICE DEAL on the price via our Prowler Brothers/Sisters!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950