Oil Leak....still leaking....still leaking.....

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I have my own little oil leak saga going on here. I bought my 96 GTS a month ago, shortly thereafter I found an oil leak. Took her to the dealer and they said it was the oil cooler lines. They replaced the oil cooler lines.....still had oil leak. I didn't think it was the cooler lines to begin with since the oil leak is mostly towards the rear of the oil pan. I took it back and they decided the oil pan gasket was the culprit. I got the car back today with new oil pan and gasket, still leaking!
pissed.gif
I took the car back and they are looking over the oil pan install and keeping the car overnight. I'll be glad when they figure out what the heck is going on!

When they had the oil pan off they inspected the rear main, it was dry so that doesn't appear to be the problem. The dealership is being very helpful and seemingly wanting to help with this problem, I hope they figure it out soon, I just ordered headers, CATS, and a CAT back system and I'd like to have this leak fixed before I add my exhaust.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typical for 96's... at least mine anyway. Had the oil pan gasket upgrade done too. It helped a lot but there still is a little leakage...... Keep us posted.......

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have them check the timing cover over very well.The oil pump islocated in the cover and I have run into several that have had porous castings in the area of the pressure passage which will cause seeping.It will at that point run down to the oil pan and then to the back of the engine.Hope this helps.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the camshaft positioner sensor, it has an o-ring around it that may also be leaking up front. Mine did, and once they replaced it, the oil leak stopped. About a 10 minute fix. they should be able to see it right away, if that is what it is, but it is up front, not at the back of the enigne.

OP
OP
S

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all. The front of the motor appears to be dry, however I will check it out thoroughly if I get my car back and it is still leaking. I inspected as well as I could with the car on jack stands, the oil is always located on the passenger side of the oil pan, and the passenger side rear of the oil pan. From the right rear corner area, the leak goes about half way across the back of the pan and forward about 7 bolts. However, the oil collects heavily on the frame rail next to this part of the oil pan, so it could be possible the oil is running back from somewhere up front although I haven't noticed leakage forward of the 7th bolt on the oil pan. Also, the it leaks worse when I drive the car harder.
confused.gif

I'll post any new info as it becomes available.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they do the rear main seal, that's the time to do a new clutch and aluminum flywheel. And if they replace the oil pan, make sure they order you the 2000 or later one. Oil leaks seem to be pretty common in the 96-97 vintage. My 97 had the front seal, timing chain gasket, timing chain cover, oil pan gasket and rear main seal replaced before the leak finally stopped. Hopefully your car is under an extended service contract and you're not having to pay for this.

OP
OP
S

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoke with the dealer today about the oil leak. To make a long story short, they are pulling the trans out tomorrow morning and are going to properly inspect the rear main. As we all know this could be the culprit, time will tell. I'll keep ya posted.

Man....I haven't seen my Viper in 2 days!!!
frown.gif
How the hell do you guys go for months waiting for tuning?????

BTW, the new menu on the Home Page looks
cool.gif
!!!

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Four walls, a ceiling and a floor, four walls, a ceiling and a floor, four walls, a ceiling and a floor! That's what the garage looks like without the Viper in it! try going without it for about three months! Makes you lose weight, stomp the heck out of the PT Cruiser gas pedal, but it still doesn't go any faster. Now I have to break the rebult engine in for the first 200 mles cant go over 2500 RPM's, yikes, that's a killer, try it sometime. 2500 rpm comes up real fast in the Viper.

OP
OP
S

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the Viper to the dealer, they ordered a new oil pan and when the new pan arrived it was warped. They contacted Arrow Racing and had them ship an oil pan. They installed the Arrow supplied pan, went for a test drive and oil is still leaking from the back of the motor. Looks like it's going to Arrow, I'll know more on Monday.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stiffler, by the way, what fan upgrade did you do? I have a 96 RT and I would like to know what my options are?

thanks
Tomer

OP
OP
S

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the fan the 99' and up Vipers have from the factory. Call JonB at the PartsRack and he'll take care of you. The upgrade fan cools the car quicker by moving more cfm and uses less current while doing so.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stiffler,

Ever consider working on the car yourself?
I've come to the conclusion no one cares about your car as much as you do!

I had a small coolant leak, traced it to the timing chain cover gasket, ripped it apart in an afternoon, and changed every single gasket (including oil pan) that was anywhere near the timing chain cover. Learned a heap about the car, and am now confident in working on the car whenever needed, something to think about.... and the car runs mint!

I have no warranty, after talking to my local dealers I see no sense in getting one
smile.gif

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Misery loves company, so I'll offer you some.

Another guy in my office has a 2000 GTS and IT leaks oil. He refuses to let the dealers touch it, so it continues to leak. Not much, mind you--in fact, I would not even notice it compared to my old 96 Z28...now THAT was a freaking leak! Fixed it though. Sold the car.
tongue.gif

OP
OP
S

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My "Oil Leak Saga" is coming to an end. The motor was pulled and sent to Arrow, Todd @ Arrow decided it was a porous block. My new motor is due at my dealer (Buhler Dodge) on Friday 5/10 and is to be installed on Monday. Nothing was used from my old motor, this new engine is completely new from the top down, now that's good stuff!
cool.gif

GenX, I like to work on my car as much as possible but after reading all of the likely causes of an oil leak on a 96' Gen 2 motor, I decided it was more than I wished to tackle. And now finding out that the problem was a porous block, there wouldn't of been much I could of done to fix it anyway.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Very Cool!

I guess you'll be at Buhler's on Saturday? Might be your only chance to take pics of your V-10less car!

OP
OP
S

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe, I was hoping to attend the Tech Session, I was going to call Darren and see if was ok for members of different regions to attend, then I noticed a post from you to another site member about Englishtown and you stating other regional members are always welcome.

Darren and Co. really took care of me! Can't beat an entire new engine! The dyno #'s Todd from Arrow gave me are pretty exciting as well. They are planning to install the new engine on Monday, I'll be glad to hear, "Come and get your Viper". What an exciting day that will be!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Our New Jersey Region ALWAYS invites EVERY VCA member to attend.

We'd love to have you there, and I'm sure many would like to see your car, minus engine, to get a good look at the squeeze those V-10's have to make!

Please feel free to enjoy the festivities!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper