Skip Shift

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a very inexpensive part around $59 if i am not mistaken
I had woodhouse put one on mine before i even got the car.
It simply allows you to go into second when YOU want to.
otherwise in traffic sometimes when you go to shift to 2nd and if the yellow arrow is on.. it wont let you.

it is a cheap mod and i like it.

try it. have john the viper tech at walden dodge put it on for
you.. just pick one up . a few sponsers of the board sell them
and congrats again

jim

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rev the car to 2k or more and it will let you go into 2nd. also, you can get a skip-shift eliminator (installs in minutes) or i just learned today that you can unplug the solenoid (make sure you dont unplug the reverse lock-out one or you will end up with no reverse). if you just unplug it, make sure you take care of the connectors so no dirt gets into them

alex
02 gts
few other cars

Reaction score
I have the Skip Shift Eliminators (aka CAGS (Computer Aided Gear Selection) Delete) in stock, ready to ship! Only $33.95! Installation is simple. Call us at the number below for more info...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on your driving style, you will find it is less hassle than it seems. It bugged me for the first week and I have never been affected by it since then. I stretch first gear out just enough that it NEVER comes on or forces the 1-4, even in heavy traffic. Mod if you must, but I personally don't think it is a big deal at all...

Chris

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get a skip-shift eliminator from Summit Racing for 26.95, methinks. That is what I payed anyway. Took about 10 minutes to put on (jacked up the car).

The Summit one is for a corvette, but the BW-T56 is the same, so it works just fine.

Well worth the investment.

just my .02...

JD

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a word of warning. There is a guy on E-Bay selling "Skip-Shift Eliminators" with the bidding starting at $7-$9, but what you get is a $0.15 bare resistor and a xeroxed page of instructions on how to hotwire-bypass this feature.

Plus he charges $4.00 for shipping (delivered in an envelope with a 34 cent stamp).

Just make sure that you buy this from someone reputable (many sellers on this site). The real bypass kit has a simple plastic fitting that plugs into the existing transmission wiring cleanly, and provides water and corrosion protection.

-Dean.

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posted in a different thread: Newer Vipers may send a code or light if the skip shift is simply disconnected. The cheapest skip shift eliminator is $17 from Midamerica Designs (a Vette co.) C5 part is the same; works on mine.

The main reason for getting rid of the skip shift is avoid the embarrasment of letting a lucky friend drive it and get stuck trying to get across an intersection looking for the 'right ' gear. Happened to me when I had a C5.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait till you get the car. I have never noticed it from day one, even in rush hour traffic. In fact, I intentionally grannyshifted it one day just to see if it had been disconnected. It worked. If you rev the car even remotely high before shifting you will never notice it. I agree, it is more of a problem when letting others drive the car.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, but one is a complete plug-in component, and the other is a loose resistor in an envelope. And paying $4 to send the thing in a regular envelope with a 34 cent stamp should be a crime.

The other scam that this guy is pulling is 20HP gain "products".

In my mind the ads misrepresent what you actually get, and it's fraud. But because E-Bay won't deal with any claims under $20, it slips through and he rips off dozens of people a day.

-Dean.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Ive a question, What is the purpose of the skip shift? why have it to begin with? It seems to just be an inconvenience. I agree, i never notice it yet whats its purpose?

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased the resistors from Radio Shack for $1.00 for my C5. It came (4) in a package so I sent the other (3) off to fellow forum members that asked. Installed the resistor and put electrical tape to cover both ends and that's it.

Does anyone know if the skip-shift eliminator on the C5 is the same as the Viper's? If it is then it looks like I'll have something to do this weekend
smile.gif

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with AJ, Chris, and King GTS,
Use your right foot as the skip shift eliminator.
Just bring up the rpm's.
It works really good.
Try it you may like it.
I do.
MHO.
Good luck and welcome.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's mostly just the annoying intrusion when you aren't in a particular hurry and the transmission locks out 2nd forcing into 4th. Sure you can gun/race the engine to bypass the problem, but it's just a pain to have to think about it. An upshift light is one thing, but this physical lockout restriction is unwelcome, especially because there are MANY trucks and SUVs out there which get the same (or lower) gas mileage, but aren't subject to forced intervention obstructing normal shifting.

ZX1000,

The Viper and Corvette share the same transmission, which has the same lockout, and apparently the same bypass will work with both cars.

-Dean.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip shift locks out 2nd when you are below 1800RPM in 1st whenever that is.I have on ocasion seen the little arrow light up which means get going you ******.Mostly its not an issue.Going to VOI 7?Maybe YOu and JIm and I will convoy.We belong to the Ontario group.Lots of activities close by just an hour or so across the border.Be carefull out there.Cool weather and cool tires can spell disaster.Not getting my car out until the last week of April. Bruce

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AJ:
rev the car to 2k or more and it will let you go into 2nd. also, you can get a skip-shift eliminator (installs in minutes) or i just learned today that you can unplug the solenoid (make sure you dont unplug the reverse lock-out one or you will end up with no reverse). if you just unplug it, make sure you take care of the connectors so no dirt gets into them

alex
02 gts
few other cars

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

aj, have you found out the hard way yet that you do not want to unplug the skipshift on a 2002? you are guaranteed a check engine light that will cost you a trip to the dealer or the purchase of a code reader. no voodoo tricks of unplugging the battery while removing the left rear wheel will take that light away. not all the info on the viper board is perfect...

GoldMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just ordered one for a C5 Corvette from Los Angeles Performance Division (a Corvette Performance store) it's $19.95 w/free shipping.

I hope the Corvette unit works for Viper !

Anyone else used the Corvette part on their Viper???

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason for the skip-shift is to increase the manufacturers' MPG rating. One-to-third would be OK, but one-to-fourth is a little much at lower rpms.
Any of you take off in second? I did so accidently once and the clutch slipped hardly any. (That would eliminate a skip-shift.)

Bad02ViperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]aj, have you found out the hard way yet that you do not want to unplug the skipshift on a 2002? you are guaranteed a check engine light that will cost you a trip to the dealer or the purchase of a code reader. no voodoo tricks of unplugging the battery while removing the left rear wheel will take that light away. not all the info on the viper board is perfect...

[/QUOTE]

Does this happen if you use the skip shift connector or if you just unplug it???

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It won't happen if you use the connector. The Corvette,Camero unit works fine. No light. You shouldn't have to pay more than $20 for the connector. I have an 01. The transmission seems to work much better with it, no more missed shifts.