New Viper Driver

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ariel:

Is this because fishtailing/spin outs/rollovers are usually because of....ummmm...overexuberance.... rather than car design?

Also.....I live in Nashville so am considering VOI in September but am not a "racer". Should I go anyway?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Design? no. Over exuberance? Often but not always. Inexperience? Defiantly.

Yes, its a gathering of car owners whom you'll love to meet (at least most of them) and a great way to learn about you're new attention getter.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Bonkers said.

And yes, you have to go to VOI if you live in the city it is hosted. It's in the fine print of your contract when you purchased the Viper.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good one Chuck
smile.gif

CStegall

OP
OP
Bonkers

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cstegall:

Good one Chuck
smile.gif

CStegall

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh?! That was a joke?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ariel -

Welcome aboard! Is 40 really "midlife"? I turn 40 in October, but at least now I know there is somebody here older than me...
laugh.gif
As to the high school, I had achieved "fat idiot" and am now "fat idiot with a Viper". My son is thrilled in any case.

I am sure you have a handicapped tag and/or mirror hanger - make SURE you display it well. There are the rare exotic car owners that are, um, wankers and they park in handicapped spots because of their width and their closeness to the front door. MANY people will vandalize those same cars (can't say that I like those non-handicapped idiots that park there myself). Not only do you get the good spot (and rightfully so), but you also have an awesome car. There will be some jealousy out there.

Spin outs, fishtailing, etc.: More often than not it is indeed some "vigorous" driving that leads to the accident. The car is pretty controllable 99.9% of the time. If you don't know the limits of the car, that 0.1% can bite you - hard. That said, the car DOES have a problem with wet roads more than most, especially if you have some miles on your tires. Because of the larger contact patch, they seem to want to hydroplane more easily than a more narrow tire. I am sure someone will point out it should be the opposite, but I haven't seen it. This is also VERY true for cold roads and cold tires. Indeed, I would guess most of the accidents involve one of these. The Michelins are much less "grippy" when they are cold or if the road is cold. I drive cold roads as if they were wet.

VOI? ABSOLUTELY!! Take your son as well. It sounds like he is a fan of the Viper and he will be in heaven when he sees all the Vipers there. Add all the great events that DON'T involve racing (parade, car cruise, dinners, concerts, etc.) and you will have a ball. The owners are great, the cars are beautiful, and the event itself is fantastic. Oh yeah, and if you want any Viper memorabilia, this is the place to get it!

Hope to see you in Nashville, and welcome aboard!

Chris

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Ariel, your name reminds me of the Disney movie about that beautiful, curious mermaid girl who longed for the life above water.

Can I ask you how you got injured? Is it permanent? I take it your forearm crutch is on your left arm, since you shift with your right?

To avoid fishtailing, just get on the power smoothly. If you must hit it hard, make sure its pointed straight.

I think it was a Corvette fan, no, make it a myopic Corvette knuckle-head, who said that there is a "problem" with the Viper, becasue "they are always spinning out", and demanded to know when DC was going to "fix it"!!

I know how Dodge can "fix" this "problem".

All they have to do is put a Corvette motor in the Viper! Presto! No more spinning out of control!

But seriously, most wrecked Vipers occur in the first few months of ownership, before the owner has learned to ride out the fishtail by feathering the throttle, and by using judicious steering inputs. Or before the Viper owner has learned self-control.

Another factor is cold tires, as the Viper owner rolls out of his/her garage, and immediately finds an opponent to vanquish.

The Viper will corner under high g force, on par with other world-class sports cars, as long as the driver doesn't get jerky with the gas pedal in the curves. This car has much more low rpm torque than most cars, and it surprises owners who are used to cars with engines that only twist hard as the revs build up. You get I think like 70% of peak torque just a little bit above idle, maybe 1200 rpm, with our V-10s. (Some avid fan of graphs will no doubt correct me on this point, but it is a useful generalization, even if not strictly accurate)

Don't get jiggy wit it!
laugh.gif

Best regards, Vic

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ariel:
I don't know how much attention I'm going to draw here. There's a disgusting amount of money in this dinksquat town. It's hard to brag when you're sitting next to a brand new silver Modena! (Except, "Neener! Neener! My car will be in the shop less than YOUR car!")
biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No bragging necessary. You will find that the Viper has perhaps the highest "gawk factor" short of a Lamborghini Diablo or Ferrari F50. I was parked next to a Modena (bright yellow to my subtle black) and the Modena, while beautiful, didn't draw a crowd like the Viper. Here is a shot when we first arrived and before the swarms showed up:

You must be registered for see images

Now as far as you being my exact age, redheaded, and a former professional belly dancer - remind me to never reply to your posts again. My wife will shoot me in the head just for the typing...
laugh.gif

Chris

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ariel

Best of luck with your new Viper, and I wish you the best with your health! You are really an inspiration!!!

Dave

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Wow, Ariel. Thats some story. I feel for you.

I tried acupuncture very successfully for some tissue damage from a car accident, (not the Viper). Now diabetes is probably a cat of a different color, but I wonder what would be the harm of trying some alternatives?

I'm sincerely glad to hear of your progress with your trainer, and the IR light treatments sound good. May you increase in strength and mobility, and enjoy family, life, and the Viper all the more.

My daughter's name is Michelle, feminine of Michael, from the Hebrew Mik-a-el, or "who is like unto the Lord our God?" I didn't know that about Ariel. Thats neat! Just like Ariel Sharon. (sp?)

Now as to picking up teenage boys, you're bad!
devil.gif
laugh.gif

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey.. I have a 3000GT VR4 too!
smile.gif

15g turbos do wonders LOL. But, she gets handed over to her new owners tomorrow.

MadMaxx

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Husband DOES intend to use the car in my next photo shoot (one of my two sideline moneymakers) but who'd be lookin' at me?!?!? Anyone in their right mind would be lookin' at THE CAR!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone please Email our new lady the instructions for posting pictures!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm an old broad, anyway. The car is a sweet young thing with better lines.
tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Broad??? I thought I was the only one that used that word. Another non-pc'r?! Welcome!!!

BTW sweet young things have curves. Lines are on...well...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456