supra owner thinking about viper

TZL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi viper owners,

i've always been a fan of vipers....i'm current highly modified supra twin turbo owner

well recently been thinking about biting the bullet and getting a viper gen 2...don't know if rt/10 or GTS yet

can you please tell me what to look for?

i have read/heard the stories about hood stress cracks, blowing head gaskets (is this only gen 1's or both gens?), windshields cracking from chassis stress, and the bad alignment of body panels from the factory. Anything else?

Also do many vipers have the 7 yr /100k warranty i sometimes see on vipers that people are selling?

Any bay area viper guys want to meet up with me so i can check out their cars?

thanks

ting

OP
OP
T

TZL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whoops, that was "biting" the bullet

too much time at work....

ting

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kungfool:
You won't need to buy a bullet or even a gun for that matter. The Viper "kills" in every aspect, in every way!
smile.gif
laugh.gif

Your on the right track tho... hook up with some Viper guys who can show you their cars and maybe even help you find the perfect ride. It's my understanding that the VCA club around the Bay area is top notch... catch up with some of those guys, and you'll be in great hands!!!

Cheers and good luck!
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cirus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ting,

I just bought a viper a few days ago and I have been a supra owner for 6 years now. Don't get me wrong I love the supra, but i have to say it doesn't even compare to the viper. I can't say to much since i have only had it a few days..... but **** that car ROXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!
My supra is highly modififed also. www.toyotasupra.org
Right now if someone said viper or the supra i wouldnt even hesitate i would ditch the supra any day for the viper!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Using my patented built-in internet chat decoder, I instantly knew what you meant, TZL.
laugh.gif
(bite the bullet)

If I had a modded Supra, I'd probably keep it for the fun.

Its been 8000 miles since my GTS was new, and it has had no problems. Some of the earlier cars had design/build issues. I think by 2001 a lot of them had been ironed out. This is just my observation, but I don't have a stack of facts to back it up, other then a lack of complaints.

There was an ABS module replacement, posted on this board.

My friends 2001 water pump failed.

Other than that, I haven't heard about many problems with the 2001.

If you are buying new, break it in according to the "Arrow" instructions. If buying used, quiz the owner about his/her break in technique. If the answer doesn't sound like the Arrow instructions, I'd pass on it.

I absolutely love my car. Its the best, most exciting, wildest looking, fastest, (dont forget its stock
biggrin.gif
), and most importantly, THE MOST SATSIFYING CAR EXPERIENCE I'VE EVER HAD.

I'd definitely reccomend buying one. They are a kick in the *** !

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TZL:
hi viper owners,

i've always been a fan of vipers....i'm current highly modified supra twin turbo owner

well recently been thinking about biting the bullet and getting a viper gen 2...don't know if rt/10 or GTS yet

can you please tell me what to look for?

i have read/heard the stories about hood stress cracks, blowing head gaskets (is this only gen 1's or both gens?), windshields cracking from chassis stress, and the bad alignment of body panels from the factory. Anything else?

Also do many vipers have the 7 yr /100k warranty i sometimes see on vipers that people are selling?

Any bay area viper guys want to meet up with me so i can check out their cars?

thanks

ting

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Supra's a pretty cool car. My buddy has one that's EXTREMELY fast! Tells me it's all in the tuning. I think he has over 900 RWHP. they can be made to stomp Vipers but I know for a fact that you're making a sound decision. Very cool car but Viper it's not. Get a GTS. Or an RT-10. You can't go wrong w/ either car.

OP
OP
T

TZL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how badly does a RT/10 flex?

i was because i love the open top ability of my supra...and might miss that....but the supra flexs like a noodle before I put all the chasis braces on, i still might put a roll cage in the supra to stop the flex....

how bad is the rt/10? gen 2 of course
what is the deal with hood stress cracks? is this only a gen 1 thing?

also did ABS start in 2001 or 2002?

thanks

Ting

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chassis flex is one problem you won't have in a Viper regardless of whether it's an RT or GTS. I've never heard of any windshield stress either and I've been around the track a time or two in both Gen I and Gen II cars.

ABS came on in 2000 if I remember correctly. But then so did the new pistons and cam. It's your call.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anti locks in 2001. Absolutely no problems with fit, finish or anything else on my 2001. These are superb cars and I have to
agree, the most satisfying car experience I have ever had.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a place in here listing every Viper by year with standard accessories, associated options, BHP & TQ numbers?

Thanks,

BM

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I upgraded from a modified (450HP) supra to a modified 97 GTS.

Supra:
Pro: Comfortable ride, Toyota build quality and reliability, creature comforts, assured handling, turbo kick at 4500, cheap upgrade parts
Con: Sequential turbo flat spot(or large single lag), weight, lack of torque, wimpy exhaust sound

Viper:
Pro: Looks and comments everytime - everywhere, amazing torque, quick steering, utter simplicity, a race car for the street
Con: outrageous part prices, K-car build quality, poor stock brakes

I am still kicking myself for selling the Supra and not using it as a commuter... If you want a mean American muscle car, the Viper is it, period. Supras are better all around, daily cars, but just doesn't have the emotional charge.

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd Richmond - you said it best!

TZL - I can somewhat relate since I've owned a modified Twin Turbo Z: http://www.speedoptions.com/news_hottestcar.asp?aID=1585&ref=default&v=5&pg=0

The Viper chassis is very stiff. In fact, when pulling up on a driveway (angled to avoid scrapes), one of the wheels don't touch the ground. The hood cracks you've heard about, was probably caused by closing the hood improperly. If you're getting a used one, try to find one with a warranty, or spend the extra cash to get a warranty (peach of mind, in case you'll need it).

My recently purchased Viper exceeded all my expectations. Then again, I've seen some people complained about little things, that should not be expected out of a street legal race car (RT10/GTS).

Only thing I miss about my Z, was that I could basically leave it anywhere unattended, and the blow off valves.

OP
OP
T

TZL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ted, i'll definately heading out to the next meeting

Todd, yeah i agree with you on your points....... i'm running a 400+ rwhp supra "BPU++++++"....now running the turbos in true twin mode, much better kick. How did you insurance change? my agent said that it would be about $200 more a year for a 97 gts than my supra....does that sound about right?

Look forward to seeing you guys around.

here is my web poll,
http://tzl.freepolls.com/cgi-bin/polls/002/poll_center.htm

Ting

ps, not really considering the m3 or z06.....basically viper or supra

OP
OP
T

TZL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alan,

very nice looking Z.....well thanks for re-assuring me on the chasis flex topic....i'm leaning towards a GTS anyways....

well time to start looking for a good one.

thanks

ting

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alternative:
Todd Richmond - you said it best!

TZL - I can somewhat relate since I've owned a modified Twin Turbo Z: http://www.speedoptions.com/news_hottestcar.asp?aID=1585&ref=default&v=5&pg=0

The Viper chassis is very stiff. In fact, when pulling up on a driveway (angled to avoid scrapes), one of the wheels don't touch the ground. The hood cracks you've heard about, was probably caused by closing the hood improperly. If you're getting a used one, try to find one with a warranty, or spend the extra cash to get a warranty (peach of mind, in case you'll need it).

My recently purchased Viper exceeded all my expectations. Then again, I've seen some people complained about little things, that should not be expected out of a street legal race car (RT10/GTS).

Only thing I miss about my Z, was that I could basically leave it anywhere unattended, and the blow off valves.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My insurance only went up about $50 - quite a pleasant shock. I'm paying $660 per YEAR for the Viper and around $600 each for my two new Acuras from Nationwide insurance. $1000 deductible for full 100/300 coverage (5000 miles/year) and uninsured motorist waiver(the best $2 you'll ever spend). I don't have all my latest mods factored in so it will go up a little when I add coverage