Tinting Glass

mrviper99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What problems has anyone had with the police on tinting their side windows on their vipers or other cars. Was thinking of having my GTS and my Ram done this next week?

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mrviper99,
Most states have a maximum darkness allowed for the driver/passenger window. I bought my Chrysler Town and Country with the 'privacy' windows (tint very dark, as you see on most vans). I went to have the driver and passenger side windows tinted darker. The place showed me the maximum darkness allowed for those windows - was definately darker than the stock windows, and works good; not as dark as the 'privacy' windows.
Later,

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Click on my vivatar...

I have the back and both sides with limo darkness, and
the windshield the upper 1/3 of the glass.

I like it very much.... no one can see in and the car looks
great too.

So far the police have left me alone... and they have seen it.
The guy that did it says, if they complain just take it off.
No big deal.

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did limo tint all around,too. Looks wicked and helps with cooling tremendously!
In CA they dropped the fix-it ticket and turned the driver/passenger tint into a $72 ticket. Gotta love CA! No ticket so far...

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue is that the police don't want to approach a car when they can't see what the occupants may be up to. Can't blame them for that! My windows have a medium tint. If I'm stopped, or if I think I'm about to be stopped, both windows go down. Then it's not an issue - in fact it shows empathy which tends to help if you just screwed up and may be facing a summons.

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just did the Viper with medium a few weeks ago and love it. As far as getting hassled by the heat it all depends on the officer and also what type of car it is. When I had my Mustang GT tinted with medium I would get hassled almost every week
pissed.gif

I sold that and jumped into a MB 300E with the same medium tint and was hassled only once in two years. I've had it on the C5 for two years now and now the Viper. So far no hassles with either one
smile.gif

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just few days ago we went to a car meet. My friend with 00 Corvette HT has a limo tint but had both windows down. At the check point the cops asked him to raise the windows and gave him a ticket for tint. Next time he will not raise the windows.

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, If you get stopped its best to roll the windows down
before you stop the car....

I only paid $75 to do the car so if I have to take it down a notch
or two... no big deal.. but it sure is nice sometimes to be able
to just shut the world out and enjoy the car and let others enjoy
the car... not checking out who's driving it...

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i personally do not agree with the law enforcement rationale for making tinit limitations. with four relatives in the sheriffs dept, local PD, and FBI, none of them, i repeat, none of them say its a valid rationale and every one of them say a cautious officer would not be any less cautious without tint than with and a perp can just as easily ready a weapon without tinted windows (unless he holds the gun up to the roof to ready it) so i simply went to a doctor and got a prescription for window tint, the bright sunlight is a bit irritating to my eyes, so a prescrition for window tint due to photosensativity was "just what the doctor ordered". I personally think its a judgement call, some will say im wrong in tinting at 20% but i look at this way, im a professional with a very expensive very nice car, and the tinted windows look to **** good to let it be spoiled by revenue guided law enforcement or criminals in ghettosleds. no offense to anyone hopefully

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper