Check engine with skipshift mod

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the skipshift mod from the cookbook last night while I was changing the front brake pads.

After removing the connector and plugging both ends with dabs of silicon, I now have a check engine light.

From reading the cookbook I had a feeling I would have the CEL because it mentions the Northwind avoids the CEL.

So my question is, how do I get rid of the CEL? Does it go away on its own or can I clear it?

Thanks,

ViperDoctor

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The light goes on because the PCM self-tests and sees an open circuit where the solenoid should be. Get the JET skip shift eliminator, probably still listed for F-Bodies (which use basically the same transmission)- you can order from Summit and others. It has a dummy resistor load to make the computer think the solenoid is still connected. Worked fine in my '98 and now works fine in my new '01.

Keith

OP
OP
V

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kverges: Thanks for your reply. I will call Summit.

I am a bit surprised that everyone that just pulled and taped the connectors are living with the check engine light always being on...

If that's the case, I'll go back to the cookbook and suggest that they make it clear in the instructions that you will have this annoying and potentially disasterous (by masking serious engine problems) symptom.

Thanks,

ViperDoctor

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yes, Summit Racing sells the skip shift eliminator, pt. no. JET-61610 for $29.69. Call 800-230-3030.

They may tell you the part is only for GM cars and not a Viper.
MANY, Viper owners, including myself, have this part from JET and it works just fine. The yellow arrow will still go on and off, but there will not be any gear lock out, forced skip shift, or SES light.

OP
OP
V

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez - Summit has a backorder for the JET plug, and none of the JET dealers seem to carry this on their shelves... Northwind doesn't answer their phone either...Any one know of another source for this type of skipshift connector?

Norman: It's really not that easy to get to. I have a 2001 GTS and there is a panel underneath the transmission that is in the way. You can remove this panel or work around it.

I use regular Walmart jacks and jack stands and that makes it harder. In fact, if you leave the panel on, you can not work on the connector and look at what you are doing at the same time. And of course, the clip that secures the connector is on the opposite side of you making it a trick just to get the connector off.

It not a show stopper, but it was harder than I thought from reading the cookbook. It would be a lot easier on a lift.

ViperDoctor

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperdoctor,
Don't know what year your Viper is, but as mnichols said:
"Geez, I have a Gen1 and I only pulled the ply and tucked it out of the way. No engine light, dash light only that goes on and off, but I ignore it. Everything just fine."
This is exactly what I did, NO Check Engine Light, only the idiot 'Arrow' light, which I ignore. 1996 RT/10. The instructions work JUST fine as described.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip shift is a non-issue.Saw it come on once on my 01 and just ran it up a few more rpm and then shifted into 2'nd.So why does anyone have a problem with it? Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave