Battery problems; what else is new??

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did someone here mention that leaving the hood open will drain your battery because of the alarm switch being released? I tried looking in the archives, but no luck. I had my hood open all weekend while working on the car. I go to start it last night and was greeted with <click><click><click>. This is the third time the car wouldn't start and it is starting to get old.
I am currently looking for a replacement. Does anybody know what the specs are on the stock battery (CCA, etc.)?

Thanks.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, With the hood open the battery should'nt drain[should'nt?] unless you try to set the alarm, then the controler sits there looking and waiting for you to close the hood and that will drain it.
STOCK BATTERY-Part #4709386-Group 78-CCA 675-MSRP $87.50 made by Exide for Mopar.

[It's ok to use my first name]
smile.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 97 GTS:
Did someone here mention that leaving the hood open will drain your battery because of the alarm switch being released? I tried looking in the archives, but no luck. I had my hood open all weekend while working on the car. I go to start it last night and was greeted with &lt;click&gt;&lt;click&gt;&lt;click&gt;. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Short answer: Anytime the tiny LEDs stay illuminated on your doorlocks, there is electrical drain somewhere. The Year Matters on the hood switch: 96 and 97 monitor that circuit and always leave it on if open. 98 and later shut-down (ignore) the open hood circuit after a few minutes IF the alarm is set! But I believe it stays ON if the alarm is off: The answer is found in the doorlock LEDs.

HINT: When garaged at home, leave a window down, and reach in and lock the door manually. This leaves the alarm-drain OFF. And ignores all the open circuits. Proof: LEDs will be OUT !

OP
OP
C

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the replies!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt M, PA:
Leaving the hood open will indeed drain the battery down. My 2000 GTS however, DOES NOT do this...I guess something changed over the model years since my '96 GTS. If you wnat to leave the hood open for longer periods, you can simply unplug connector under the hood pin switch. I bought Douglas batteries for my last Vipers..fit fine, maintentnance free, 2 yr replacement warranty.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Matt, what's the scoop with Douglas batteries? Are they a standard lead-acid battery or are they a sealed type? I can't seem to find much on the web about them.

Thanks!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading the posts below mine..I just went out and checked on my 2000 GTS. I know that I can leave the hood open for long preiods without draining the battery. BUT after reading Jon's post, I HAD to go out and check it all out. I had the car out tonight, and as usual, opened the hood after pulling it in the garage to let the heat out. When I went back the door lock LEDs were out. I pushed down on the hood alarm switch..and the LEDs came back on. Then, a minute later...they went back out. Oh yeah..my alarm is not set. As far as info on Douglas batteries, try douglasbattery.com. I found out about them from my local auto parts store. You see, my '96 went through a couple of Mopar batteries, the last one being dead on installation. The guys at the store swear by them, and so far, they have been very good.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leaving the hood open will indeed drain the battery down. My 2000 GTS however, DOES NOT do this...I guess something changed over the model years since my '96 GTS. If you wnat to leave the hood open for longer periods, you can simply unplug connector under the hood pin switch. I bought Douglas batteries for my last Vipers..fit fine, maintentnance free, 2 yr replacement warranty.