Are all Vipers 50 state cars?

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am in the market for my first Viper, I live in San Diego, Ca and am curious if all Vipers were produced as "50" state cars or if not and I buy a "49" state car will I need to have the smog gear changed out to make it compatable with Ca's strict smog controls?

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the short answer to your subject line is "No, not all Vipers are 50 state emissions compliant from the factory."

However, there is more too it than that. I believe the year matters. I believe later year Viper all conformed to the same emissions standards, but I don't know when and if this went into effect. Send Jon B an e-mail. I bet he'll know.

At any rate, there would be no problem buying an out of state car even without the 50-state certification as long as it was not brand new. Older model year cars can be brought in and certified either to CA standards if they had the 50-state emissions option or to federal standards if not. It will just have to pass the sniffer and visual inspections for which ever standard you certify to.

Matt

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'98 and newer Vipers are all 50-state compliant. Some '97 and older Vipers did come with CA emissions of course.

If you get a '97 or older Viper, make sure it came with CA emissions or has at least 7500 miles on it; it not, it will be extremely difficult or impossible to register the car in CA

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry, guys, but 99 and newer are 50 state cars.California has revised alot of rules, though, over the past year and a half and there doesn't seem to be as many concerns as in the past. We have sold alot of vehicles in California from our tiny berg on the edge of the Earth ( Nebraska ) , and we have never really had a problem at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh