Hemi for Viper?

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, guys,
I'm considering buying a high-mileage Viper I've found in my area, if I can get a decent price on it, at the end of the summer. I was wanting to build it up primarily for dragracing. Has anyone dropped a Mopar V8 into a Viper yet? What advantages would rebuilding the V10 have over dropping in a ~500 cube Hemi? I couldn't seem to find any info in the archives, so I hope this topic hasn't been covered before. Thanks in advance.
Chris

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check Viper Magazine from about 2-3 months back. Frankly, I can't understand why you would want to do that, but it's your car.

OP
OP
G

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't subscribe to Viper Magazine. Do you happen to know where I could order back issues? My primary reason for going to the Hemi would be the sheer power potential of the engine. It is my understanding that more power can be achieved with a like-sized Hemi engine than the Viper's 488. True, or no? I really don't have firsthand experience with the 488, so I don't know for sure. Plus, by the time I got done building the V10 to 1200 hp., I'd have spent fifty grand on the engine, and I can probably build a Hemi cheaper. Thanks for the response.
Chris

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This project has already been done. If you do a seach on this message board for "Sir Hiss" you'll see a big-block MOPAR Viper in action. More power to you (pun intended) if you go this route.

OP
OP
G

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, I thought Sir Hiss used a Chevy engine. Thanks for the info. Anybody know where the best source would be for a fully built engine (aluminum block ~500 or 550 inch Hemi)? Will it be possible to run one without a hood scoop like Sir Hiss'? I'm not sure what the clearance is under the Viper hood. Thanks.
Chris

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
nope, Sir Hiss is all Mopar! I saw it myself...it's a rumor that he is using a chevy engine by people who don't know their butts from their elbows.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get back editions of Viper Magazie and Mopar Performance News by calling 800-998-1110.

Someone else did this on the East Coast? It was also covered in VM.

OP
OP
G

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Steve. Mark, you bring up a very valid point about the rearend. Does Sir Hiss use a solid rear axle? I'd prefer the better launching characteristics of the solid rear, but want to keep the high speed handling capabilities of the stock setup. I'd like to autocross the car too (I don't want to build a drag-only Snake), so handling will remain a concern. Would you guys go solid axle with maybe a re-worked four-link with an airbag setup in the rear or try to work with the current IRS? Thanks.
Chris

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, if you do it please keep a good log and take pictures. These are the type of stories that always have a place in either of those magazines.

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go 4LO,
Hisser runs a Chrysler block. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong Tony) he has $10K for anyone who can stick a chevy anything on that block...water pump ect.

He utilizes a 9 inch ford rear that Mark Williams prepared for him.

One bad daily driven ride.

I don't believe there is much clearance under the hood and a scoop would be necessary for a NA engine.

"Build it and we will come",

Later,

Dave

OP
OP
G

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, gorgeous motor, Mark! I'll be looking to get into the low 9's, and with a motor like that, I don't think I'd have any problems!
smile.gif
Do you guys think it'd be possible to go low 9's with the stock rearend or would I have to go solid? Also, how much of top-end handling would this sacrifice if I used a properly built suspension? Thanks.
Chris

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris get up to the Viper Nationals at Norwalk Sept 15-16 and see some V10 Vipers in the mid 9s. It's all part of the Chrysler Classic which features hundreds of old Mopars too. (Hemis and Max Wedge) We'll be running a dial format so any Viper can race against the big boys. But the big Boys are running for Low Et bucks and braggin rights.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a look at Sir Hiss's latest comments on the "Quickest Viper" Thread. He switched to a solid rear end because he'd blow up the IRS rear fairly regularly with high-RPM slicks launches. If you want to run regularly in the 9s, you'll probably need to do the same thing. There will be a considerable handling sacrifice to "go solid"; if you're serious about having a dual-purpose car, you should swap rear ends when you change venues.

OP
OP
G

GO 4LO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys. I did get a chance to read Tony comments. It sounds to me like the primary reason for swapping rearends was for increased strength, not for better launching characteristics. In that case, perhaps SVSI's Dana 60 rearend would be what I need? Here's what they say about it:

Dana 60 Housing with 3:55 Gear Set:
The professionals at SVSi provide a differential option for engines producing large amounts of torque. Installed, the package includes a high performance Dana 60 rear-end, using constant velocity joints rather than OEM half-shafts. Combined with the SVSi Differential cooler, this is the winning combination.
Dana 60 Housing with 3:55 gear: DRI-009

That would give me the CV's instead of halfshafts and also the increased strength in the ring and pinion (9.75" ring vs. 8.5" D44 ring). That ought to be able to handle the launches and still provide better than solid axle performance on the top end. Still debating, but I'm leaning towards this one now. Thanks, guys!
Chris

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noticing the discussion of Tony's car...and not to detract from the fact that it is a nice car...I remember him telling someone at VOI last year that he would give them XXXX in cash if they could find anything with a GM part number on the engine....hell, my question was what component in that engine compartment had a MOPAR part number on it...

Just for the record I do know the difference between my body parts....

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sir Hiss viper is quite a sight. If I had not seen it I would not believe in a high 7 sec street car. Not to be rude but why is the distributer in the back of the engine where you would normily find a chevy distibuter. Do some mopars engines put their distributers in the rear center?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper