Rear brake pads for 2001

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that they have installed a non-factory brake pad on the rear of their 2001?

I have been working with Wayne at Apex to see if the Hawk pads for a 1994-1997 Mustang Cobra would fit, but Hawk is doubtful and Wayne says it looks different.

I am really looking forward to eliminating the squeel from the rear, not to mention the dust!

Thanks

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by viperdoctor:
Can anyone confirm that they have installed a non-factory brake pad on the rear of their 2001? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have sold Porterfield R-4 pads to some happy clients, and 99t1 Morgan also has some on his 2001 rear............

We have every reason to expect to have EBC-Greens in 3-4 weeks. Since the initial supply WILL be limited, I encourage 2001 buyers to order em NOW to get first pick. The day we post "2001 rears Avail" the initial delivery could likley sell out !

Much "weirdness" in the D-C MoPar parts computer as well...92-00 sells normally, as well os '01 front, but '01 rears quote "PER PAD, NEED 4" Very weird. If true, rears list for $556 !!

OP
OP
V

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

Thanks for your message. Any comment on how the Porterfield's stack up in terms of dust?

Are they the same exact ones from the rear of 94-97 Cobra?

Thanks

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The Porterfield R4 is a track pad that can have a lot of noise and dust. The Porterfield R4-S is the one used on the street that is much quieter and much cleaner than stock pads.

Caution, though, on using the R4-S on a track as they may not last very long under hard braking.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB - PartsRack:We have sold Porterfield R-4 pads to some happy clients,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marv S on 07-26-2001 at 03:39 PM</font>

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by viperdoctor:
Jon, Thanks for your message. Any comment on how the Porterfield's stack up in terms of dust? Are they the same exact ones from the rear of 94-97 Cobra? Thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marv is right (as usual!) Once EBC Dustless Green pads came out, the "less dust" claims of R4-S (Street) pads hollowed a bit. Until then, R4-S was the only choice for less dust, and no squeek. R4-S are also more expensive: $269 vs $149.

The cross-ref fittment is indeed "looking like" the 94-97 Ford Mustang Cobra R..........I am reluctant to say "same exact"....

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you care about noise and dust maybe Hawks are not for you. I've been using AP599 R-4 Porterfield race pads for 01 ACR rear ($129.00 from Porterfield) and they seem to last well under racing conditions. Actually, it's the same as a '93-'97 T-bird backing plate...credit Mumford for this discovery.

I will be trying the Hawk Blues in the rear soon. I was going to go to Hawk HT10s all around but a few people warned that the HT10 is to agressive for the rear of a stock brake system.

In the front, Hawk HT9s (they stopped making them) were the BEST! When the rotors were all dug in and completely f_cked up the brakes were the best!!! I have to cut them after every weekend but that's the trade off for great braking on a stock set up.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also installed a set of R4 AP599's on the rear of my 2001 GTS and ran them at VIR this past weekend. I'm not particularly aggressive or ******* brakes, but I had plenty of brake (setup: stock calipers, front & rear R4 pads, Stop-Tech Aero front Rotors, Stop-Tech stainless steel lines, all purchased from the Parts Rack.)

We were unable to install the rear pads until we were able to borrow the requisite special piston depressing tool from Viper Tech/Nice Guy Tom Sessions at VIR.

When I return the car to street trim after Viper Days at Road America, we will reinstall the stock rotors, front EBC green pads and (hopefully, by then) rear EBC's. I've got over 9,000 miles on my EBC's and they are truly great!

Reaction score
99t1, you say what we just found out--'01 rears are the same backing plate as T-birds.
I agree with you about the Hawk HT9. It's a phenomenal pad! We've used them on a customer's '97 GTS w/ Wilwood 6-pistons up front, and they never had a problem. (Used HT8s in the rear.) Not so friendly to rotors, but MAN do they stop!

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bill/Apex...Yea I love the HT9 but Carbotech and Tom Oates Chevy both say the new HT10 has been changed "recently" and is better than the first HT10 that many people thought was sh_t a few months back. All the Hawk users I know are going with the 10 and so will I or maybe go back to Brake Man for a while. Padgids are wicked but hard to get and pricey. Let me know what you hear about the 10s or anything else. If you care enough, I say cut em after every weekend and keep using Hawks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456