Need advice about a 1998 Viper GenII

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am considering a 1998 Viper. Not sure if it will be a GTS or Rt/10. Are there any know common problems with that year? I want to make a wise decision on my 2nd Viper.

Thanks in Adavance

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Adam! Are you kidding me? 98 is the best year! Good alarm system and a nice rough idle. The hard top leaks a little bit, the soft top requires a snorkel, so what, it's just for emergencies anyway. Get one!

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1998 is a great year! All of the bugs of 96 & 97 were fixed in 98. Last year for what I think is the best looking wheels. Also the last year for a lopeing cam!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam, your more than welcome to come down here and drive my 1998 GTS. And I'm sure Chuck would let you drive his 98 RT/10..

Can't go wrong with a GenII! you'll LOVE it!

GTS baby!!!!

Gerald

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go 98! Note that they might have an early-style fan (like mine) and may need replacing if you have heating problems (not a real problem yet for me).

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good choice in my opinion....you get the highly polished 17" wheels and this year is relatively glitch-free....I wouldn't hesitate. Pete the ex-glass guy in Phoenix

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ab,
RT/10, the best of both worlds. Some will say that the hard top is difficult to put on, and it may be for some. I put mine on yesterday in preparation for a track event. It took me and my wife about 15 min.(or less. took our time). Loosen 4 bolts that hold on the sport bar, lift it off (bolt holes slotted), remove bolts(by hand), carry top around car and drop(carefully) it on, secure the front two twist latches, screw in the back two bolts - ALL DONE . The soft top, never been on the car, still in the bag. There is nothing like a real convertable on nice days.
Be sure to get the cockpit cover for use when car is parked, that covers the windshield, cockpit, and is waterproof. Get this from JonB at PartsRack. ($89.00; Ph. 1-877-475-1100)
Am looking forward to your announcement; 'I GOT IT'.
Enjoy !!!

Reaction score
I would also consider a 99. Same engine as the 98 but with back hatch release from inside the cabin and the exterior mirrors can be adjusted from the inside. I own a 98 GT2 and a 99 ACR, fyi.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I live 1998s.........

Great 17" polished wheels.
Tube headers.
Forged shift forks.
Alarm bugs fixed and switchable
Aibag cutoff.
Pebbled-finish isnturment and trim panels.

Only "bugs" (some mentioned):

-Oil Pan MUST be upgraded for track/auto-X events. MUST.
-Inferior fan was installed thru 1998.7 or so ($159 fix)
-PCV system inferior thru 1998.7 or so ($29 fix)

Let us know what you choose, then join VCA !

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235