"GORT! KLAATU BARADA NICKTO" Anyone??

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, this post IS VIPER - VCA related !

"Klaatu Barada Nickto!"
Any Sci-Fi cultists remember this famous movie quote, and the lead role played therin? Your correct answer will result in an amazing trivia link!

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"GORT! KLAATU BARADA NICKTO\" Anyone??

Gort was the robot in "The Day the Earth Stood Still". The quote was the command that caused Gort to cease and desist, if I recall correctly.

Oh, and Klaatu was the man who came to earth on a mission to get us to end our bellicose ways. Played by Michael Rennie.

Gort was played by Joseph Lockard Martin Jr.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bruce Cambell from Army of Darkness (evil dead 3)
biggrin.gif

"Klatu... Verada.. Nic---..........((silence....))...necktie....nickel....necter.......definetly an N word..." heheheheheheheheh

Nah, it was originaly quoted from The Day the Earth Stood Still

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old Rascal:
Amazing.....So what little boy was taken to a certain film premier in Hollywood.....by his daddy? You know, searchlights, Cadillacs, studio bosses......(still Viper related).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The attribution is 100% correct....the famous line of film star Michael Rennie, one of my all-time favorite stars and character-actors. Michael was born of Knighted parentage, and had a son, who accompanied his daddy to that premier.

That son later became a car nut, and bought a Viper. When the son called PartsRack to ask some parts questions, (in his sophisitacted UK accent, and name Rennie,) I asked him if by any chance he was related to the famous British film star, Michael Rennie....... Well, Now You Know The REST Of The Story!!

He is also known as OLD RASCAL on this site.

KLATUU BARADA NIKTO indeed !

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am 48 and everyone knew you had to know those words just in case Gort showed up under your bed.....

However, "Nickto" ..... hummmmmmm ...., I thought it was more like, "Neck-Toe"

You know, it might make a difference .....

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: "GORT! KLAATU BARADA NICKTO" Anyone??

UPDATE, (just 7 years later?)

The 1951 Movie is now a Remake, scheduled for a 12/12/08 Debut!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

More trivia.

What was the un-penatratable substance that Gort was encased in. (which he melted easily)?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

More trivia.

What was the un-penatratable substance that Gort was encased in. (which he melted easily)?

Velveeta? :dunno:

ETA: And since this isn't specifically Gen1 or Gen2 (or really at all Viper) related, I moved it to General Viper discussion.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Must be PLEXI? Too early in 1951 for Lexan......

It was some sort of plastic but in the movie the military refer to it by some name like "KL37" or something like that.

As an aside, I also really liked Rennie in this movie but I had a serious crush as a kid on the female lead, Patricia Neal. Watch her in the movie Hud with Paul Newman and you'll see what I mean.

The Day the Earth Stood Still has held up incredibly well for film made in 1951(!) and it's message is still meaningful today. I still get chills when I see the opening credits with that cool, early synthesized music.

I just hope that Hollywood doesn't screw up the new version.

/Rich

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

.....I just hope that Hollywood doesn't screw up the new version...../Rich

I just read an 8-page recap of the remake...... instead of the D.C. Mall setting, they use Central Park NY. In 1951 we had NOT been even close to going to outer Space. Sophisticated audiences in 2008 will demand serious science and modern special effects worthy of 2008.

Instead of fearing 1951 NUCLEAR WEAPONS, our 'space neighbors' now fear our 2008 Ecological destruction of a 'planet suitable for supporting advanced life forms from the Galaxy."

One chilling line:

"If your species is allowed to survive, it will kill this rare and valuable planet. If your species is eliminated, the Planet will certainly survive."

The message in 1951 was "Clean Up Your Act, or ELSE!" The 2008 message is nearly identical.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62