Rain-X?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to use it on my other cars. It worked great when you first put it on, but over time it would get kind of foggy looking. Of course, it's not as great as they advertise. It's not like I could drive in a down pour without my wipers. But it helped.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JAY HERBERT will tell ya that Rain-X can save your life!

I use it when applied DRY. Works Great. Follow directions.

"NO TOUCH" is similiar product that comes in a spray-on that can be used DURING the rain! Here in Pac-NW I carry a can during the one rain we have each year:

(October 1 - May 15)

SCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used it for many years...It works reasonably well...

I believe they changed the formula somewhere along the line because it used to stay on the windshield for quite a while...Now I'm lucky if it lasts more than a few weeks...

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully, you're not driving Vipers in the snow and ice, but on winters cars it makes the ice flake right off. Especially the heavy stuff that usually takes hours to chisel off.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used to use Rain-X - sometimes it was easy to work with and sometimes it was a pain to get "off". So, after talking to Sal about Z2 and Z6 application, he suggested using both of those products on the glass, too. He says if you can get the glass clean and non-streaky, then you are using the right amount of Zaino products forthe maximum shine....

We have been doing so for a couple of years now and the Z2 / Z6 combo does the same thing as Rain-X and its a great bonus to be able to not worry about getting "wax" or spray on your glass.

Try it.....

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used Rain-X for years and found it to be a great product. And, yes, bugs seem to come off the glass with less effort. Those of you with glass shower enclosures at home will benefit from periodically giving the inside of the enclosure a coat of this product. A LOT less water-spotting and easy cleaning are the benefit. Pete the ex-glass guy

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used Rain X for almost 15 years. I have found it to be an excellent product. I drive, overall, close to 60 thousand miles a yr. summer and winter. Rain X in the winter precludes worrying about semis coming at you and throwing up a load of sleet or slush. It blows right off instead of facing 0 visibility. With a good coat of Rain X, bugs will come off with the window washer and wipers. I have been in hatches of May flies(or others)where literally hundreds hit the windshield in 10 or 15 mile stretch.
W/O Rain X, you would have to stop and clean the windshield. I just turn the washers on and most of it comes right off.
As for fogging up--after applying a good coat of Rain X, run the window washer and wipers for a little bit.

Steve

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key is to use a very mildly abrasive, special purpose glass cleaner first - I bought mine at Grand Auto. This strips off all the old residue from years of smog fallout and you will notice that it causes water to stay in a perfectly even layer on your windows - it will break away in many sections before. Rain-x will then cause the water to bead of with almost no streaks.

DO NOT ALLOW ANY ON YOUR PAINT!

Todd

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car has never been driven in the rain so you would think that Rain-X would not be necessary. However, you never know (especially in the Summer) when you might get caught in a sudden storm. I put Rain-X on the windshield of my '94 RT/10 so that that the wipers would not create scratches in the event I ever needed to use them.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I do is clean the windshield with a rag and some gas, immediately wash the car, dry the windshield, apply rain-x, let it dry, get a damp sponge, remove the dry rain-x, and dry with a towel. This eliminates the streaks that you all mention. Hope it works for you all too....

motomike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I now use the Rainx Washer Fluid which contains the Rainx stuff you can apply to the windows on a regular basis. Works just as well and much more convenient than having to re-apply the stuff on a regular basis. Doesn't fog or mess up the window, either.

This washer fluid is not that much more expensive than the cheapy blue stuff.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have also heard and seen the damage of additives in the water reservoir to clean the windows. Most agents cut through the wax coatings (this may be for Mr.Zaino to answer)....

For this reason, I only apply the Rain-X to the windows and use only reverse-osmosis water in the tank. This water is free of any minerals and leaves the jets clean. The purified water combined with Rain-X leaves the surface virtually spotless.....this works on all my cars so far