ACR oil filter adapter

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A) Most Viper-owners at Team Viper who track their Gen-II Viper have installed this upgrade. It was forst recommended to me by Charlie Brown, Engine Manager at TV.

B) PartsRack has sold em as separate components since BEFORE 1999 when ACR came out! MoPar came out with the kit in 2001.
[Customers may ask me how!!]

C) Cooling the oil 100% of the time is a primary benefit.

D) The mechanical shuttle valve, even when OPEN, acts as a slight restrictor to return oil flow.......hence the claimed pressure improvements WITHOUT this valve. basically, it makes the oil cooler LESS of a pressure draw.

E) Incidentally, the idle OP is about 5-7 PSI higher as well!

NOW that I have explained it Luc, for your edification, may I have the privilige to sell you one?!?!?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am trying to understand what this adapter do.
Mopar say that there is "up to 12 psi increase at 5200rpm"

Obviously the only reason that the oil pressure could increase is due to viscosity.
A colder oil will show more oil pressure tnan a hot one,

My 2000 Service manual state :

"On a non-ACR equiped vehicle,a control valve shuts-off oil flow to the cooler when oil pressure is below 30 psi "

So what it mean is that if you have less that 30 psi, the oil by-pass the cooler, but since the oil pressure specification is 45-75 psi at 3000 rpms,ALL the oil on ACR and NON-ACR cars,from less than 3000rpms, go THROUGH the oil cooler.

Consequently at above 3000 rpms for SURE it is impossible to have a difference in oil pressure between the ACR and NON-ACR Vipers since the oil go through the cooler on BOTH cars.

Also,putting aside the viscosity/temperature factor,it is a well know fact that there is a loss of oil pressure due to a cooler.

So can someone explain me this claim of increased oil pressure at 5200 rpms?

Thanks?
Luc.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Correct me if I am wrong Jon, but while I would love the benefits of the ACR oil filter adaptor (though I don't track the car as of yet), is contra-indicated IF:

You drive your Viper in &lt;40 degree weather.
You would like to continue to enjoy air conditioning while idling in traffic.

Am I correct?

</FONT f>

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,
Thanks for the answer.
Since it seems that the OP increase is due do the removal of the flow restiction of the shuttle valve,can we just remove the valve in the non-ACR oil filter adapter?

Ron,
It is also my understanding that the valve is there to avoid putting anymore heat load on the A/C at very low speed since the oil coler is in front of the A/C condenser.
Luc.

How much $ for the adapter?
Thanks
Luc.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Luc;

A while back I asked Jon B. that very same question. The answer that came back, indirectly from Team Viper, was that removing the shuttle valve prevented the stock oil filter adaptor from working properly. I don't remember whether it would bypass the cooler all the time or what, but it was not an alternative to the ACR adaptor.

On a related matter, Jon B. wrote a while back:

"Non-ACRs Oil Filter Adapter has a closed shuttle valve at 0 PSI pressure. This means the cooler will NOT drain. ACRs and ACR-OFA equipped upgrades ($239) WILL drain fully. {And provide more cooling and pressure.) This is .5-.7Qts trapped oil."

Jon,

Would this mean that NON-ACR oil filter adaptor equipped Vipers would get full oil pressure quicker at startup because they didn't have to refill the cooler and lines at startup?

Thanks
</FONT f>

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is this a worth wild upgrade for the street?
Or only a good upgrade if hitting the track events?
i am curious, because you would think cooler oil is a postive thing for all vipers!
how long does install take by a viper tech (ball park)?
my tech's labor rate is $40 per hour

JIM
patriotx.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets