My actual coolant temps from the DRB III

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought some may be interested in what I got from the computer on coolant temperature versus the dash gage. I was in the process of clearing trouble codes with the DRB III and decided to check it out, just out of curiosity. I've wondered what my actual temps were, now I know. Probably similar car to car, who knows.

Couldn't figure out how to post the crude pic I made in word so start with:
the 3 hash marks on the dash gage with 190 below them. On my car during normal driving, idling, etc they read on the DRB as ... from left to right ...172-183-190. I did all of these a couple of times to see if the computer and dash gage were consistent to each other, and they were.

The hash mark half way between the center grouping and the red 250 mark read 212 and that's about as high as my car goes. On highway at the third mark in the center grouping, where mine always rides, I was getting between 188-191. All seems normal to me.

On shut down during the heat soak, the temp on the scan tool would rise to almost 219 but then the fan from Sean Roe would come on and once that happened the temp stayed well below 220. That fan device is a great concept, nice to see the heat pulled out of there.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My question is:
Why good does the fan do if the car is shut off? The water pump isn't moving so, it's just cooling off the radiator ...right? Everytime I park my car, I have a big fan I turn on in my garage that I put in front of my car...I don't know if it does any good..but let me know...thanks

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ab:
My question is: Why good does the fan do if the car is shut off? The water pump isn't moving so, it's just cooling off the radiator ...right? ....I have a big fan I turn on in my garage that I put in front of my car...... let me know...thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AB -

Indeed, a non-running cooldown period is a bit of a placebo, cooling only the radiator and exhausting some underhood hot air. But avoiding extreme heat-soaking of underhood components, and even the paint, is a comfort to the OWNER if not the car !

Running your fan in the garage achieves the same thing, and does not draw on the battery...and simply opening your HOOD probably achieves as fast a cooldown! But its hard to take that fan along to the restaurant, mall, etc....and leaving the hood open while dining is a bad idea.........

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Jon B,

Remember on the old message board (#3) about two years ago when we went through the whole fan kit testing process online with questions presented by Dean Word and Jerry Scott? We found a long time ago that the entire engine cooled considerably, not just the radiator. There's even a fast "crude" way to test if you have one of our fan kits.

AB,
I've never measured the engine temperature in a controlled test to see what the reduction may be by putting an external fan in front of the car. Even if it's not much, it sure doesn't hurt
smile.gif

I prefer the automatic "as needed" approach myself
smile.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB - PartsRack:
....cooling only the radiator and exhausting some underhood hot air. But avoiding extreme heat-soaking of underhood components, and even the paint, is a comfort to the OWNER if not the car ! Running your fan in the garage achieves the same thing...... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once you shut off the motor, the hotter components like the oil, the exhaust headers, and the coolant, "SOAK" heat into the other, cooler components.... As I said above, I agree 100% that the running fan after shutoff cools everything...."avoiding heat soak"....and I believe the reason it does so is simply the air circulation it causes externally.....(just like AB's floor fan.) The movement of the air around the block, heads, headers, etc exhausts the hot air faster than sitting, stagnant air would.

Opening the hood achieves the same thing....faster cooldown, and less heat soak. The gorgeous hood finish stays cool with the hood open ..... it gets HOT if you leave it closed, even w/ a fan kit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth