2001 Viper rear brake tool...and SnapOn kit...long

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Got the EBC Greenstuff rear pads and the 2001 rear caliper brake tool yesterday (THANKS JonB and WingKing!!!). I did notice that the adapter used on the rear piston for proper seating looked familiar. So, I hauled out my trusty SnapOn "Universal Disc Brake Caliper Tool" (part # YA 8610A) and noted that SnapOn kit adapter #2 is identical (stated by SnapOn as 1 5/8" and fits "most Nissans/Datsuns and Subarus"). INTERESTING!!(NO "ricer jokes, PLEASE!!).

I had tried this kit on other Vipers (95-99) with no success as the two pin locations are off... both in regards to spacing as well as to diameter. I should point out the fact that the kit was NOT marketed as correct for a Viper...I was just hoping (noting that SnapOn kit adapter #1A is stated to fit "most...Dodge Conquests..." and a list of others)...It does NOT fit 1992-2000 Vipers. Dodge "Special tool 6366" fits perfectly on 1992-2000 Vipers(and, in my opinion, SURE feels better than needle nosed pliers...especially when used with a socket wrench).

Summary: If you plan to change pads with any frequency on a 1992-2000 Vipers, order Dodge special tool #6366...only costs a few bucks. If you have a 2001 model, get Good Old JonB to send you the 2001 tool (only a few bucks), unless you ALREADY have the SnapOn Kit ($189.00).

Proper tools are hard to beat!
bounce.gif

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those 2001 rear tools have been in short supply as far as we know at GreatBrakes.com. However, our BIG supply is now finally on it's way to us from the manufacturer. Because these 2001 tools can be a bit difficult to get, and are much more expensive than the 1992-2000 rear tool, we are trying to figure out a logical sales, OR "loaner" policy.

Track rats with 2001's are probably going to be changing their rear pads enough that they are likely going to need one to carry in their tool kit. So, I'm thinking about SELLING our supply only to users who purchase either the Yellow or Blue EBC RACING grades.

For Green or Red folks, who mainly are going to be street or autox driving with no road racing planned, we may keep an inventory of the tools just for "loaner" use only. We see no sense for those who may go "years" without changing pads, to have to purchase an expensive tool for just the original change over.

I'm thinking about simply charging a deposit to send the tool with the order, and then you get your deposit back when the tool comes back. This would keep a supply of the tools in circulation for those who really need them, and available WHEN they need them. Any comments on this?

Wing King
GreatBrakes.com

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Good points, Wing King....and a VERY KIND offer indeed for those who will need tool on only an occasional basis!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wing King:
Those 2001 rear tools have been in short supply as far as we know at GreatBrakes.com. I'm thinking about simply charging a deposit to send the tool with the order, and then you get your deposit back when the tool comes back. Any comments on this?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WING......... As you know, PartsRack as two loaners now, but here are the challenges: TIMING ! And giving the OPTION! We ask for "FEDEX FORWARD/RETURN WITHIN 7 DAYS" at loanee cost.

The guy who pays a deposit ADMITS he just might decide to keep it after all, and that loaner you promised to the next customer disappears! Imagine a movie rental where you had the option to keep it! Next, a loaner guy might not keep his brake job on schedule, and then the tool is gone MIA another week........ SERVICE FAILURES result with loaner promises.

At only $39, the hassle-factor is pretty high, when you can OWN your own tool ! Some TECHs dont even have one yet! If you borrow one 3 times, thats $45 if FedEx fees to return it.

PartsRack has 5 left of this correct 2001 tool....sold w/ pad orders only........ and 2 loaners for our customers.

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Just talked to our Friend Luke at TireRack about tires...was reminded that they also carry EBC Greenstuff pads as well as Reds. This is just an FYI message.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, just a quick "FYI" for you. TireRack handles EBC pads, however, GreatBrakes.com is the only authorized EBC distributor in the USA for Dodge Viper pads, no matter what the color range. They are available directly through us, OR our network of dealers such as the Parts Rack. The best part of this for the customer is that almost 100% of our dealers across the country are either factory Dodge dealers or performance product tuners who are very familiar with all the little nuances of your Viper's braking system. Simply stated, our dealers have the knowledge that others don't possess. I like to compare it to attending a driving school. Who would you want as your instructor? A skilled Viper racer, OR some BMW or Porsche driver that's never even driven a Viper before?

Might as well put in the plug for Skip Thomas's Viper Days while I'm at it..... the BEST "bang for your buck" weekend event to learn to drive your Viper fast!

patriotx.gif

Reaction score
King, don't forget us!
biggrin.gif
APEX Motorsports is also an EBC dealer, and we have plenty of Viper front and rear sets in stock. We've been selling the Greens to a lot of happy customers, and we also have the other compounds in stock as well. Let us know if we can help!
For local people, we have the SnapOn tool, so we can easily install your '01 rear EBC pads for you! (Or any other year Viper, for that matter...)

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I helped one of our regional members do the brakes on his 2000, I ordered the rear tool "just for the occasion"..... it arrived three weeks AFTER we did the install
smile.gif

I bought a "universal" tool, a block with different diameter/spaced pins on each side..... but none of the six combinations fit the Viper rear. Guess that sort of makes sense since few (high production) cars have Brembo brakes on them.

So if you THINK you want to put pads on your Viper, order the tool while all the folks above have them in stock so you'll have it when you need it.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Bill, I didn't mean to slight you guys at APEX. I only used Parts Rack as an example because JonB had posted some info on the thread.

And, thanks for helping me make my point. Even if one COULD buy their EBC Viper pads elsewhere, why would they ever want to get them from other than a Viper expert or tuner like you or others with knowledge and experience specifically about Vipers? EBC rigidly controls the pricing structure anyway.

We've been hearing good things about your work from customers in California, and I know they appreciate the clinics you hold as well. Wish I had the time and space to mention ALL our EBC dealers, and even other dealers or tuners who have had enough concern for their own customers that they refer them to us in some cases.

patriotx.gif

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Kingman, your points are well taken.. Please add US to the list of VERY HAPPY EBC customers that you are assembling. I have completed the change to GreenStuff pads on 2 of our Vipers...LOVE the braking result, lack of noise, and find almost NO dust. As winter sets in, will make the change on the rest of the Snakes. The guys that have "stopped by" to use the midrise lift are also VERY HAPPY with the GreenStuff pads as well!!! KEEP'EM COMMIN'!!!

P.S. One can NEVER have too many tools!!!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all for this great amount of info - I knew I had seen this post long ago from Steve and used the search feature to pull it up and forward to a VCA member. The 2001 - 2002 rear caliper sure is a bear, since you have to take the dang thing all apart to change pads - you need about 6 hands to hold everything while you reseat the piston....

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave