GTS Values

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard some say used GTS's will go up in price because of they will stop making them soon. Others have said they will go down due people getting new vipers and wanting to sell their old cars as well as uncertainties in the economy.
Also... outside of Camshafts and a few other little things, is there any difference between '96 & '97's vs '98-'00 GTS's as far as desirability, performance, comfort, and general enjoyment of the cars? It seems there is not much price difference between a '96 with 10,000 miles and a 98 with 5,000 miles so it makes me wonder if the older ones are slightly more valuable.
Any thoughts on this anyone?

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My limited knowledge would suggest that very few cars which are produced post 1980 and in quantities greater than 100 will ever gain value, discontinued or not.

I would perdict that they will depreciate much slower than the RTs though.

Which, of course, stinks for me because I want an RT and I don't want to wait for 2003.

-B

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think that GTS' will hold value better than RTs, because they will be discontinued. Supply and demand..if someone wants a Viper coupe..that will be their only choice. That said, Vipers seem to hold their value exceptionally well anyhow. I think that in many ways, my 2000 GTS is a better car than my previous '96. (I do miss the lumpy idle though) With Vipers, I believe that you should buy not only the best car you can afford, but also buy the color you like best. If a blue and white GTS is your favorite, you have to get a '96 or '97. Any Viper is really a good choice.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt can i drive your 2000 gts? i would like to get a real educated opinion on weather(spelling) the newer GTS's are better thatn the early ones with those lumpy cams...

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would be really fantastic if Dodge would build some 03 Coupes with the original body style, and put the new 500/500/500 engine and upgraded braking system into it. This could become the ultimate VIPER!
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know where you guys get the idea that the RT is not being discontinued? But the new body is nothing like the original RT, and just because the name is continued over means nothing. And as resale value is concerned only time will tell the value of any of the vipers. Can tell you one thing though, convertables or extremly unique body shaped vehicles(like the RT) always have higher values than the ordinary.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Tough call! I originally thought the RT's would take a bit of a dive... but now I've come up with another thought:

There might be many NEW enthusiasts that walk into a showroom for the '03 convertible, since they'll be lots of new hype showing a convertible Viper, and either aren't crazy over the style, or can't afford the price... but want open top motoring ... so their only option will be the gen 2 RT/10.

All in all, it seems like either style is "protected". The Gen2 Coupes obviously will be the ONLY option available to a "coupe lover", the Gen2 RT's will be the "other, less expensive, original style" option available to a "open top lover".

...and Gen1's will be continue to carry forward, as the ORIGINAL, and much less expensive "entry level alternative".