is my car running TOO hot?? HELP!!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">The radiator petcock is located on the driver's side of the radiator, of course at the bottom, facing the engine. In my case (1996) it is not a petcock but an allen keyed plug. Be careful removing as the brass radiator shell around the plug is quite thin...

Given the age of the car, it certainly is time for an inspection, change, burp and perhaps a thermostat replacement. Also check the temp sender & gauge for accuracy. </FONT f>

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had same problem during the summers with my '95. Replaced the fan with the '99 fan (at the recommendation of my viper tech) and all was well.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nanoosy

You better sell me the 97 GTS cheap...Its gonna blow on you...

Kidding of course. I would speak to your local Viper Tech live and in person. See what he says...Do you have extended warranty?

I was told for my 96 RT/10 (GenI engine versus your GenII) it is normal for the temp to go from the three ticks at 190 up to the tick that is 1/2 way between 190 and 250 red zone...Then fans kick in and temp should come down...I was told when I "get on it" temp will go up then fans kick in and thermo should be open and temp should come down...

TomR..

OP
OP
Marv S

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If the stock t-stat is working properly, a lower temp t-stat will in no way help his ~235 degree Viper to run cooler on a hot day. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1bad gts:) you could try the following,lower thermostat.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By "one tick" before the 250 do you mean the hash mark that splits the center three from the 250 mark? If so I ran some tests with the factory scan tool and when mine reaches that particular mark its running about 212 degrees. Most will get up to that point, not a big deal, why don't you clarify.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you buy the 1999 fan yourself,(I would recommend thru Partsrack) then make sure you get directions to get the lower bolt out of the way when installing it........ The fan does not work well in bumper to bumper GA weather either [/QUOTE]

The "does not work well" comment pertains to the OEM fan from model years 1996.6 - 1998.8

The NANOOSY '97 post is likley due to just needing a burp job alone, with that tiny amount of miles....but the 99 fan at $159 is a good protection. Install is SIMPLE but one old, unneeded stud indeed intereferes if left in place. {come to think of it, the same might be said of ME!}

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456