Wipers out of Sync

Reaction score
When I started up my '99 GTS, the wipers came on (without the switch being on) and finally stopped after a half dozen cycles in extended positions. This happened about 6 months back, but they found their way back to the home (retracted) positions after a few cycles of the switch. This time they are stubborn and are staying in the incorrect places. And, when I turn on the wipers they collide.

Anyone see this before, or have some ideas?

Thanks.

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wipers were colliding and doing weird things. One would go up and down twice, the other would wait then go once.
Turned out to be one of the motors was not sensing the opposite wipers position, so it had to be replaced. The car was doing this from the day i got it and it had only had 410 miles on it.
It probably went bad from lack of use.
Chuck of Tator's Dodge diagnosed the problem and fixed it. The manual does not specifically address the solution as to which motor should be changed, but Chuck somehow figured it out.
By the way, this is a very rare problem.
Good luck.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2000 GTS does the same on intermittent (left one goes twice; right one once) and when on full they alternate one cycle each. I have always asumed this is normal, looks kind of cool and they do NOT collide. sounds like Greg99ACR has something else going on...
cool.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by neil:
[B The manual does not specifically address the solution as to which motor should be changed......By the way, this is a very rare problem. Good luck. [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not that rare, really. PartsRack has furnised parts for at least 6 such fixes the past few months. Let me save Ya'll some time:

The controller is likely NOT the issue. The switch is likely not the issue. A motor is bad. Bi-polar schizophrenia. The weird part is this - The motor that appears to be operating normally is the bad one. The one going berserk is the good one! Used motors avail from PartsRack, ~~50% off list price.

{If there was a problem /solution section here on site this would already be in there.}

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 97 GTS. There are only 3 possible causes: 2 motors, 1 control unit. Jon obviously knows more about diagnosing the problem than my Viper tech, who guessed wrong twice. One of the parts was on some kind of galactic backorder, and it ultimately took 6 weeks for the problem to be resolved. But it was covered under warranty and at no expense (except inconvenience) to me. Fortunately, the car, while waiting for a part to come in, was still driveable. I also carried a screwdriver with me so that I could remove the passenger side wiper arm if I got caught in the rain.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They did once, but the rest of the time they never stopped when I turned them on. Do they test and tell me what happens. If that is it, I'll tell you how to remove the motor.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just fixed that same exact problem. Jon B helped me out on this. We did this test to see which one is the faulty one....

1) lift both wipers off the glass
2) locate the wiper that DOES NOT stop to synch.
3) the motor that DOES NOT stop is the bad one.
4) buy a motor used/new from Jon B and save $

I know, it doesn't make sence, but that is the problem. The wiper that keeps going does not care that the other wiper is trying to keep up. It is a bad synch sensor on the wiper that does not stop. That fixed my problem. I also kept my old motor just in case I may ever need it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper