X pipe section in rear section of 99 GTS exhaust

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted to find out if anybody has had any luck with better sound and a little more HP and torque with an X pipe on the rear section of an aftermarket exhaust for a Viper? Having one fabricated out of 3" T-304 stainless steel. And was wondering if anybody in Viperland has found this beneficial for a little more power and better sounding exhaust?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean removing the muffler and replacing it with X or H pipe? Been discussed lots. 100% concenses is "yes" sounds much better and worth it if you're not planning on any exhaust mods for a while. I put an H on my RT/10 almost a year ago and it sounds great with the top off and rear window out. You won't notice it as much in the GTS.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">It's been said that the "X" pipe will minimize the drone a bit better than an "H" pipe which in turn is better than straight "II" pipes.

I can vouch for the drone improvement on the "H" over the "II" but haven't tried the "X" yet.</FONT f>

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Through our R&D efforts, we tried using a 3" X pipe in the rear near the differential. The headers and mufflers play the major role in the final sound of a system. The X-pipe certainly made the sound more tame, not as much burble and loping; it seemed to smooth out the pulses and flow coming out. The problem is that proper placement of the X-pipe is critical and it should reside as close to the collectors as possible. The farther back it gets, the less positive effect it has on power/tq. In the case of the Viper, the only place to install it (without going too crazy) is in the rear area by the differential, thus the benefits are not ideal.

We should have our finalized LETHAL 650 package installed with this system, and I plan to post pictures and sounds!! Stay tuned.

Here is a link to some pics of the area: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1791011&a=13902092&p=55522845

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Forged Horsemen:
Wanted to find out if anybody has had any luck with better sound and a little more HP and torque with an X pipe on the rear section of an aftermarket exhaust for a Viper <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Helps cut resonance and drone (better than an H balance tube) .....and MAY be more ECU friendly on 2001 and 2002 !! But honestly WAY too far back to help TQ or HP

OP
OP
F

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Hey Ralph, didn't you just get a shiny new Mopar exhaust? That one sounds pretty good."

I know it sounds pretty good. Not as good as your setup with the headers though. But I want to make it sound a little better before I add some headers. Also toying around with the idea of having a custom built carbon fiber cover made too cover the section where the X pipe will be. It will bolt on to the valance matching up too the bolt holes in that section. Since the ca is black I think it would look pretty good. Thanks for all the good input on this guys. Hey Dean where can I get those cool 71 Road Runner tail pipes. They look very cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper